Offline 98octane

Yep last couple of times I've been down there ,been real nervous around the Great Otway area,just do silly things .

Around the 12 Apostles ,pure danger ..doing U turns ,stopping in the middle of the road ,turning onto the highway the wrong way,where all scene it happen.

This time last year ,I nearly lost the front of the E-Type to a Toyota...good driving saved the day.

Agree.  Between Apollo Bay and 12 Apostles is the worst for tourist/inexperienced drivers.  I've seen cars spin out, hit walls and always failing to pull into slow lanes.

Offline app

On the basis that they actually didn't get your true speed.

Happens more than you think.
I was referring to having a better chance of winning on appeal.

I should have clarified, I was referring to what legal requirement there is for a cop to show you the speed you were travelling?  I have heard it before that cops have to, but I am curious where the legal requirement is.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Agree.  Between Apollo Bay and 12 Apostles is the worst for tourist/inexperienced drivers.  I've seen cars spin out, hit walls and always failing to pull into slow lanes.
Thankfully there are some great roads down to the GOR like Deans Marsh,road to Forest .

I was on it a few years ago in my MG,now that was a concern ,luckily I had the grunt to keep ahead of the tourist gang.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I should have clarified, I was referring to what legal requirement there is for a cop to show you the speed you were travelling?  I have heard it before that cops have to, but I am curious where the legal requirement is.

OK, this is from a statement from Vic Road Patrol:

Victoria police say "motorists are entitled to ask for a speed readout and officers are encouraged to invite drivers to inspect the speed reading, but they are not legally required to do so before issuing a ticket".

In NSW if they don't show you the readout then:

When speeding motorists are caught in NSW, drivers can later visit a police station and view footage of the incident.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The cop said they aren't required to show you the device if it impacts on the police operation. The guy disagreed  - like I would have - and took it to court. The court fined him a higher fine and gave him a longer suspension than the ticket. It made my blood boil just watching it.

OK, there had to be something more to the story in that case.

Now days as soon as they pull you over they start recording video and sound. The Cop will try to get a confession out of you by asking, "Do you know why I have pulled you over today" or just ask point blank, "why were you speeding". I always answer "No idea" or "I was doing the posted speed limit". They will most likely ask you again in a few different ways to try to get that confession. Or - Officer, I was not speeding, if your equipment says that I was then I believe it may be faulty - then ask to be shown the readout.

Also, ask the Office why he is in the area doing speed checks and if it's a “Black Spot” or High Accident area.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Thankfully there are some great roads down to the GOR like Deans Marsh,road to Forest .

I was on it a few years ago in my MG,now that was a concern ,luckily I had the grunt to keep ahead of the tourist gang.

That car looks unreal!

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

Now days as soon as they pull you over they start recording video and sound. The Cop will try to get a confession out of you by asking, "Do you know why I have pulled you over today" or just ask point blank, "why were you speeding". I always answer "No idea" or "I was doing the posted speed limit". They will most likely ask you again in a few different ways to try to get that confession. Or - Officer, I was not speeding, if your equipment says that I was then I believe it may be faulty - then ask to be shown the readout.

Also, ask the Office why he is in the area doing speed checks and if it's a “Black Spot” or High Accident area.

And what will any of that achieve? (from the cop or you)
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

And what will any of that achieve? (from the cop or you)

If you admit or confess to speeding, it will prove very difficult to defend yourself in court later on if it goes that far.

At this stage the Speeding Incident is ALLEGED and not Proven, if it is taken to court it then needs to be proven you were speeding. This is where the questions are raised, was the equipment in Calibration and was it working correctly at the time.

The fact that you are even asked why you were speeding with the implication that you were speeding is an infringement of your civil rights.

National Safety Committee Guidelines have clear guidelines as to operation of speed traps/speed checks in specific areas. Why do you think that put up signs saying speed cameras operate in this area or Police are now targeting speeding in this area or Black spot area, etc, etc. It is to comply to the Guidelines. It may be that the cop was just heading home and had the mobile detector on but it's always a good question to ask to see what the Cops answers with.

Remember all this is being recorded and can be used in court.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car

I like it.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

In theory. I had photo's of the f*rkers hiding behind a 4wd and sent them into the ethics part of VIC Pol. After weeks I get a BS response and some idiot from the local area calls me and leaves a message. I try call her back and get nothing. Go back to ethics division and another idiot then calls me. Says the area is a "dangerous" area. I asked for 5 years data proving it. Still nothing after 6 months so I let it go as an exercise in futility

So much for "black spots" - they target you where they can get $'s