Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Perhaps; but the staff are well trained and the service generally very good.

Yeah I am the same. I am very mainstream.
Do I like Tatts and big earings etc. Hell no I think they look like freaks.
But if they are polite and know their stuff and don't call me "mate" or "Pal" then I am OK.

Offline carl888

• Soap Dropper
  • Get her groggy, do her doggy

• Drives: OHOS
  • Name: Carl Jones
The retail service in Australia is shocking.

Indeed, it mostly is.  Part of the reason I think is that it's not seen as a transitional occupation, people drift in and out of retail as they study at university, work part time, find something quick before a proper job, travel etc.  It's unusual to find someone considering it a career.  And there's that pride and/or dedication thing, occasionally you'll find a geek in a consumer electronic or music role that knows their stuff, and is enthusiastic.

I spoke to the fellow that gave me my first full time job today.  I was studying at university and worked full time in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne in 1992/1993.  Back then he paid me $42,000 a year to sell cameras and photographic accessories.  Today, that same job would command not much more, he said perhaps $50,000 maximum + a little commission if you were lucky. 

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

I spoke to the fellow that gave me my first full time job today.  I was studying at university and worked full time in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne in 1992/1993.  Back then he paid me $42,000 a year to sell cameras and photographic accessories.  Today, that same job would command not much more, he said perhaps $50,000 maximum + a little commission if you were lucky.

You know why? Traditional bricks and mortar retail is being oblitorated from all sides, most notably by the internet. Until the Aussie dollar falls AND the Australian government stops the tax free threshold altogether, the carnage will continue unabated.
Retail can't afford to pay big wages anymore, it's as simple as that. It is now a minimum wage job with extremely poor job security.

Offline M500

You know why? Traditional bricks and mortar retail is being oblitorated from all sides, most notably by the internet. Until the Aussie dollar falls AND the Australian government stops the tax free threshold altogether, the carnage will continue unabated.
Retail can't afford to pay big wages anymore, it's as simple as that. It is now a minimum wage job with extremely poor job security.

Certainly true. However traditional retail is also under threat by Australian internet retailers who charge/ pay GST as they do.

IMHO traditional bricks and mortar retail is on a fast downward slide to obliteration. These days the public can research their purchases better than ever and be well informed enough that all they need to do is choose the best priced reseller, which more often than not is an internet retailer without high street/ Westfield rents, over the top retail wage rates for idle staff and all the other associated retail overheads. This combined with a flattening if their traditional extraordinary margins make their days numbered in the current format.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Certainly true. However traditional retail is also under threat by Australian internet retailers who charge/ pay GST as they do.

IMHO traditional bricks and mortar retail is on a fast downward slide to obliteration. These days the public can research their purchases better than ever and be well informed enough that all they need to do is choose the best priced reseller, which more often than not is an internet retailer without high street/ Westfield rents, over the top retail wage rates for idle staff and all the other associated retail overheads. This combined with a flattening if their traditional extraordinary margins make their days numbered in the current format.

I needed some new business shirts and as I could't be arsed going to a retail B&M shop I bought some shirts online.  Measured myself up put in the order for 4 shirts @ $60 each, were delivered to work a few days ago, $20 postage from the UK.  Perfect fit.

Offline M500

I needed some new business shirts and as I could't be arsed going to a retail B&M shop I bought some shirts online.  Measured myself up put in the order for 4 shirts @ $60 each, were delivered to work a few days ago, $20 postage from the UK.  Perfect fit.

Bingo

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Bingo

I do feel for B & M retailers though and do my best to support them as much as I can.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Me to.  I get my shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt - they keep my size, address etc and it takes a minute or two.  It's so easy, I've bought more than I can ever use.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Me to.  I get my shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt - they keep my size, address etc and it takes a minute or two.  It's so easy, I've bought more than I can ever use.

How do you find them?  I read some reviews that their material was a bit thin, because of that I ordered from TM Lewin.

the process was so simple and the fit so good.  I don't think I can ever buy a pre made shirt again.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

How do you find them?  I read some reviews that their material was a bit thin, because of that I ordered from TM Lewin.

the process was so simple and the fit so good.  I don't think I can ever buy a pre made shirt again.

They are fine but I'll try your brand next.  Although I've got enough to last me several years. :o