Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Is this possible?

See CondorMan's thread got me thinking of the steps involved to do this. I'm still not sure it can be done but I do like a challenge...

1. Buy a LHD car in Europe
2. Use a friend's address in UK for registration
3. Just for additional evidence of UK domicile, get a UK driver's licence
4. Use the registration to get comprehensive insurance.  (Under UK law, the car must spend at least 6 months a year there.)
5. Transport the car to Australia and get a temporary import permit using a carnet and financial security
6. Use the carnet to obtain temporary registration in the most lenient Australian state
7. Drive for 5.5 months throughout Australia, then return car to UK, or
8. Obtain local insurance cover, drive in Australia for 11.5 months and export the car to NZ briefly then re-enter under new carnet.

What have I missed? Credit to alvchua if this works. :)

Offline dkabab

although i don't know the legal side to this, i know its definitely possible. you don't even need to change number plates once here.

key point to this are the people who 'drive around the world' usually in land cruisers and the like... they seem to have no issue driving on the wrong side of the road...

only sticking point to consider is insurance. I'm sure policies in europe/uk are multinational due to the convenience of international travel, however I'm not sure if an australian insurer is necessary.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

although i don't know the legal side to this, i know its definitely possible. you don't even need to change number plates once here.

key point to this are the people who 'drive around the world' usually in land cruisers and the like... they seem to have no issue driving on the wrong side of the road...

only sticking point to consider is insurance. I'm sure policies in europe/uk are multinational due to the convenience of international travel, however I'm not sure if an australian insurer is necessary.

I've found an insurer who will cover a car for me in the UK for use there and throughout Europe.  I didn't ask about Australia or transit - he's probably already thinking I'm a timewaster.  The more I think about it, Europe is the better place to leave a car anyway. :doh:

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

I've found an insurer who will cover a car for me in the UK for use there and throughout Europe.  I didn't ask about Australia or transit - he's probably already thinking I'm a timewaster.  The more I think about it, Europe is the better place to leave a car anyway. :doh:
With our over policing and speed limits ,I'm not sure why anyone would keep a supercar here ,if one could afford to keep it in Europe and fly over and use it .

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Is this possible?

See CondorMan's thread got me thinking of the steps involved to do this. I'm still not sure it can be done but I do like a challenge...

1. Buy a LHD car in Europe
2. Use a friend's address in UK for registration
3. Just for additional evidence of UK domicile, get a UK driver's licence
4. Use the registration to get comprehensive insurance.  (Under UK law, the car must spend at least 6 months a year there.)
5. Transport the car to Australia and get a temporary import permit using a carnet and financial security
6. Use the carnet to obtain temporary registration in the most lenient Australian state
7. Drive for 5.5 months throughout Australia, then return car to UK, or
8. Obtain local insurance cover, drive in Australia for 11.5 months and export the car to NZ briefly then re-enter under new carnet.

What have I missed? Credit to alvchua if this works. :)
Would they not gell re the Australian passport,does the carnet include all import taxes?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Would they not gell re the Australian passport,does the carnet include all import taxes?

They might twig but it shouldn't matter. The carnet involves security but you get it back when you leave.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

With amount of ks and your love of driving Mark.

It makes logic to own a car in Europe and go over , just 2 or 3 trips a year and say 10 days a time ,you would do 10k per year.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

They might twig but it shouldn't matter. The carnet involves security but you get it back when you leave.
but once again your stuck with our laws.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

With our over policing and speed limits ,I'm not sure why anyone would keep a supercar here ,if one could afford to keep it in Europe and fly over and use it .

You are right but it would still be fun for a few months. It would spice up Sunday morning runs and Tassie. And it would piss off the authorities who live to limit our freedom with no good purpose.  :p

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

You are right but it would still be fun for a few months. It would spice up Sunday morning runs and Tassie. And it would piss off the authorities who live to limit our freedom with no good purpose.  :p
have you been approached at the Ferry terminal ,by Police at all?

Few mates just went over on there bikes ,and were said hello to ,asked various questions and warned re local speed limits.