Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTv1iNB9gJA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTv1iNB9gJA</a>
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David

Offline JBO

Hahaha! Mate your car still has the feelsome steering which cannot be bought in a new Porsche these days it seems. Wipe away those tears and go for a drive!!!!!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline futurism

As it turns out, they got the same time
I expected this to be an example of how 10 years progress has turned my car into a slow old dinosaur.
A bit like those videos where Hyundai's and corollas beat older ferrari's
I do like the previous gen Cayman R, but it seems that might be a performance downgrade.
Might have to start saving for the upcoming Cayman gt4

Offline JBO

If you end up driving a Cayman GTS for shits and giggle's I'd be keen to hear your thoughts as a GT3 owner.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Change the diff gears in your car and then tell us if you would want to sell. For that small cost you will inject some incredible improvement to the performance of your car, the 981 is geared so tall its just not fun to drive imo.

Offline JBO

Looney does that apply for all 996 or only the GT3 ?

Offline futurism

Stock gearing on a GT3 is ridiculously high
It will do 140 in second
And given the high revving engine, you want to be between 6k and 8k rpm as much as possible

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
JBO, diff gears are only (easily and practicably) able to be changed on GT3's with the G96 gearbox. (so that means 996 & 997, but not 991)

its a quick job as the gearbox is made with changing of ratios in mind.

my car had the 4:11's and did approx 100kph in second gear, and 250-260kph max, it was so good it felt like i was in the fast and the furious changing gears all the time, but the speed at which it got through the gears was mind blowing, and the car was actually quicker up to about 150 kph than a turbo.

honestly if i ever buy a GT3 again (which i hope to) that is the first thing that will be done, it completely changes the personality of the car and makes it faster than you will ever need.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Stock gearing on a GT3 is ridiculously high
It will do 140 in second
And given the high revving engine, you want to be between 6k and 8k rpm as much as possible

The 991 GT3 feels low geared. It's doing about 3,000rpm at 120km/h. The gears feel closely stacked when driving around town. How does this compare with your car in top?