Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Hey guys,

Was just looking at a cheap car to cart crap around and found one on carsales that I'll go check out over the break.

When I enquired, turns out it was at Pickles as a "fixed price" vehicle.  Obviously I know Pickles as an auction house, but just want to know what my bargaining power is when i head up next week.

with fixed price listings at pickles, what's the go? are they pickles own stock and they act as a dealer? are these consignment cars? are they cars that didnt sell at auction?   is there negotiation room on these? or are these take it or leave it deals with Pickles fixed price?

also does the Statutory Warranty apply? or do they have the same situation as with their Auctions where there is no warranty?

an obscure question I know, but i was expecting to rock up to a dealership next week and just go through the normal process, but when I saw who was selling it i want to make sure i go in with the right understanding of how they work.

Cheers

Looney

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

Did you call to ask them all those questions?

What are you after? Look into ex rentals they sell them near the airport, I've helped a few of our workers buy cars from there and they were very reasonably priced, they sell off the lot before they send them to auctions, I can try to look for a number if you want.

Offline looney

Did you call to ask them all those questions?

What are you after? Look into ex rentals they sell them near the airport, I've helped a few of our workers buy cars from there and they were very reasonably priced, they sell off the lot before they send them to auctions, I can try to look for a number if you want.

No answer when I've rung them today, nor any response from my enquiry.

My plan is to pop in next week and try get a deal, but i want to know the background before heading up there. Forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not looking for a commercial Load Lugger as it wont suit my needs,  this is what I'm after to cart the MTB's around. Ticks most of my boxes, small car, reasonably fun to drive, storage in the rear for random stuff and hopefully can fit my MTB's as well as being secured within the car so I can leave the bikes in the back at work etc. I was looking at a Caddy, but just cant bring myself to get something so utilitarian.

Offline FADZ777

I used to work at pickles many moons ago. Last i checked they are indeed fixed price and have no room to move price wise. Generally they are meant to be on the cheaper end of pricing in theory.

I think most are privately salary packaged cars on a sort of consignment but i could be wrong

Offline looney

I used to work at pickles many moons ago. Last i checked they are indeed fixed price and have no room to move price wise.

That's what I thought.  I may still try it on next week and see how I go.

Offline schmik325

The fixed price cars are usually new stock into Pickles that are from ex lease companies and govt.

They usually run them with a fixed price for 2 weeks then if not sold you'll see them in the normal weekly auctions where they usually have reserves anyway.

I've never seen a fixed price car at a market price, they always seem over the odds

Offline looney

The fixed price cars are usually new stock into Pickles that are from ex lease companies and govt.

They usually run them with a fixed price for 2 weeks then if not sold you'll see them in the normal weekly auctions where they usually have reserves anyway.

I've never seen a fixed price car at a market price, they always seem over the odds

yeah this thing is about $3-4k over the odds, but happy to pay a slight premium because it's got less than 35k's on it.

Offline looney

I went and checked the car out over the xmas break before new years.

I was quite keen on it at the right price, however when i checked it out, it was a little rough and itt has a dent in the door so bad it would need a new doorskin so that dropped the perceived value to me a little bit.

that said here's what the situation is

> price is take it or leave it
> No Test Drives
> No Statutory Warranty (how can they even do that?)
> The car was about $3-4k over the odds anyway.

but here's the thing. Today they dropped the price $1k.  does anyone know if there is a way i can check if this car is owned by a finance company etc and they're trying to sell it? as I could possibly contact them directly?

or do Pickles ever wholesale to dealerships?

or if it's not gone in a few more weeks (the Mini wagon's are not exactly a popular thing) they then put it on the auction block?

anyone with experience here, I'd appreciate any feedback, as for the right price this would be the ideal load lugger for me.

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

Do you have a dealer friend? Get that person to enquire, I doubt they will be able to get it cheaper, I will ask for you tomorrow.

Offline looney

Do you have a dealer friend? Get that person to enquire, I doubt they will be able to get it cheaper, I will ask for you tomorrow.

Yes I do have a car dealer mate. But before bugging him I was hoping someone here may know. Seems pickles fixed price is a different kettle of fish to normal used car sales

Failing that mini brisbane have one coming in on trade next month which may be a simpler situation than Pickles