Offline mtarone

I visited a Barrett & Jackson auto auction today in Vegas.

If you've never seen one of these before, you've got to see it. Its a great experience.

Anyway, these guys were one of the exhibitors : http://www.swisstrax.com/

It looked good and is around $4 per sqft.

I'm wanting to do my garage floor and was going to paint it but this system looks great, has anyone here used this flooring before?

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

I think it's like the stuff I bought as flooring for the Uber office, and ended up having one of the chaps here on the site dump it for me.

What we had was about 8mm thick, make of plastic, clicked together. Water/chemical/spill proof ... BUT if you lay it over concrete it's loud, if the area you are laying in is not totally flat your car tyres will 'rip' the plastic up, and it'll slip/move if you don't lock it into place.

It's a good cheap solution, but it's not fantastic as a final finish (assuming the stuff you're looking at is the same stuff we had).

I think I've still got a pile of second hand tiles around - i'll ask the guys and they are yours if you want to get them picked up.
C'mon, do it!

Offline j15

See https://aussieexotics.com/forum/off-topic/need-a-member-to-sell-garage-flooring-make-bucks-and-be-manly-10523.msg189739.html#msg189739

A few members on here bought them and were happy with the results, but everything Al says about them is correct. They've all been sold now though.

Offline mtarone

I think it's like the stuff I bought as flooring for the Uber office, and ended up having one of the chaps here on the site dump it for me.

What we had was about 8mm thick, make of plastic, clicked together. Water/chemical/spill proof ... BUT if you lay it over concrete it's loud, if the area you are laying in is not totally flat your car tyres will 'rip' the plastic up, and it'll slip/move if you don't lock it into place.

It's a good cheap solution, but it's not fantastic as a final finish (assuming the stuff you're looking at is the same stuff we had).

I think I've still got a pile of second hand tiles around - i'll ask the guys and they are yours if you want to get them picked up.

Thanks for that feedback I might hit you up when I get back to Aus.  :thumbsup:

Offline frog_a_lot

• Name: Cam
We have a similar set of tiles(cheaper brand) we got for free. Basically plastic clip together garage tiles.

They are great because they are much easier to clean specially in our dirty garage, but as others have said, they can be loud.
Also if you have a dark colour like black if they are in direct sunlight they will expand slightly and warp a little, creating 'waves'.

This may not be an issue with more expensive ones but something to consider

Offline mtarone

Given the feedback here I decided against the tiles, but would still like to cover the concrete floor of the garage.

In my house in the US I had it painted with a grey colour and a 'fleck' through it, which also gives it some grip and breaks up the grey a bit. (very ordinary picture attached which should give you an idea)

Apparently the surface paint they used is not available in Aus?

Can anyone give me a name of a contractor in SA who could do this for me?

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Not quite the answer, but we painted the Uber office floors with KBS rustproof stuff. Sets like rock.
C'mon, do it!

Offline dkabab

no idea on contractor, but a company called Parchem do lots of resin/other stuff flooring. they are on manton st @ hindmarsh i think...

http://www.parchem.com.au/

Offline mtarone

Thanks guy. Much appreciated :)

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
Given the feedback here I decided against the tiles, but would still like to cover the concrete floor of the garage.

In my house in the US I had it painted with a grey colour and a 'fleck' through it, which also gives it some grip and breaks up the grey a bit. (very ordinary picture attached which should give you an idea)

Apparently the surface paint they used is not available in Aus?

Google is my friend...
http://garageoutfitters.com.au/garage-flooring-adelaide.php