Offline perpetual

Probably like most of those guys, and just bought them 'cos he loved them at the time. What an amazing investment classic metal has turned out to be

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
$20k to 50k ain't going to get you much though.........

It's going to get me a much better set up than the $10-15k worth of tools I have now.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Plus he had a testarossa which would be another $20m+

And some awesome Porsches.
I wonder if the guy knew one day he would be sitting on $75m on cars.

It is a bit deceiving on the face of it Aaron. Yes they are $75 million now; but these were never cheap cars like people are fond of making out today. This guy was young and owned a
250 GTO  in the 1970's. The car was worth something like $75k in the mid 1970's. Go back and check what $75k bought in real estate back then. This guy was a very wealthy bloke to be able to afford that car. Having a basic garage was really his personal choice. I would suggest flash garages that were built to impress are more a product of the late 20th century and in 1975 a garage was more of a functional place to store and work on your cars.
I've been around exotics since the early 1970's and I can't recall seeing a flash garage until the mid to late 1990's  :scratchchin:

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Probably like most of those guys, and just bought them 'cos he loved them at the time. What an amazing investment classic metal has turned out to be

Everything moves in cycles and we are at the peak of the current classic car cycle. If you are old enough to have been around in 1985-1990 you will have seen it all before.

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Everything moves in cycles and we are at the peak of the current classic car cycle. If you are old enough to have been around in 1985-1990 you will have seen it all before.

Good lord I hope so. I feel like one of those people who can't afford a house at a BBQ where everyone is talking about their latest property aquisition. It's a sad state of affairs when $150k barely gets you anything noteworthy anymore. And $100 k gets you an old POS that's not really all that special.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

Here's my input FWIW, which isn't much, if cars take a dive, that's going to be the least of your (collectively) problems!
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

It is a bit deceiving on the face of it Aaron. Yes they are $75 million now; but these were never cheap cars like people are fond of making out today. This guy was young and owned a
250 GTO  in the 1970's. The car was worth something like $75k in the mid 1970's. Go back and check what $75k bought in real estate back then. This guy was a very wealthy bloke to be able to afford that car. Having a basic garage was really his personal choice. I would suggest flash garages that were built to impress are more a product of the late 20th century and in 1975 a garage was more of a functional place to store and work on your cars.
I've been around exotics since the early 1970's and I can't recall seeing a flash garage until the mid to late 1990's  :scratchchin:
Same I can't remember flash garages before the mid 90s .

Well set up ones ,garage homes ,stables yes but not all the bling we see now .

There were cheap classics at various times ,but some marques /models were always expensive.

Offline perpetual

This is an interesting time with Classic Cars. Everyone has said that CC's will crash, and yet they keep rising from what I can see. TYhe bust in the 1990's appears to have been for other reasons (cars bought on credit), and from what I can see, they have just risen and risen since then.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

This is an interesting time with Classic Cars. Everyone has said that CC's will crash, and yet they keep rising from what I can see. TYhe bust in the 1990's appears to have been for other reasons (cars bought on credit), and from what I can see, they have just risen and risen since then.
The market has slowed ,the CC dealers will tell you there not moving the stock they once did.

Offline perpetual

Yes, I agree, the CC market has slowed, which it had to do, or it would have gone bust just as everyone thought. Now it may have the chance of becoming sustainable, which would be pleasant.