Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

Offline fivesix

OP is full of crap.

However I imagine there would be an Aussie that owns one OS if anywhere. Get some proper use out of it that way.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
What a stupid thread.

the OP's "friend"

You have a few options, buy it and leave it overseas where you can actually use the damn thing without jumping a billion hoops, send it to New Zealand as they do allow a certain amount of LHD cars get registered every year (get on it soon as the number is limited and places open after new year. Last option is to bring it over as a "Holliday car" for use while you are on holliday here, although you have to pay 100% of the cars value (after LCT and Taxes) to the Australian customs as a bond which will be returned once the car leaves the country.   So for example the car costs ~ $1.5m all taxed up, then another $1.5m goes to customs as a bond. So not worth it unless you are seriously loaded (and if your friend was that rich he wouldn't bother about asking about prices... No other options unless you convert the car to a RHD.   Is it worth it??? No way.

Yes a Veyron was here, VW brought it over and it was in the CLipsal 500as someone had already mentioned, I remeber a photo of it in the background when the black Koenigsegg caught fire while running around the track... Think it is on youtube.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Our late friend Neville King said he was confident he could register a Veyron in the NT. Nev was serious about it too. He drove the car at Valencia - and fulfilled a dream.

NT seems to have looser laws on LHD, perhaps to accommodate the US forces who need the comforts of home.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
I know for a fact that one Bugatti Veyron will be coming to Australia in early 2012.

Can confirm that it won't be registered and will only be driven on trade plates. Although the owner tends to treat his cars like works of art rather than driving them so I don't think that will be a problem.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Our late friend Neville King said he was confident he could register a Veyron in the NT. Nev was serious about it too. He drove the car at Valencia - and fulfilled a dream.

NT seems to have looser laws on LHD, perhaps to accommodate the US forces who need the comforts of home.
Early veyrons are quite 'cheap'. Saw one for 600,000 gbp. Strong Aussie dollar helps.

An address in NT would be the go.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

I know for a fact that one Bugatti Veyron will be coming to Australia in early 2012.

Can confirm that it won't be registered and will only be driven on trade plates. Although the owner tends to treat his cars like works of art rather than driving them so I don't think that will be a problem.

In NSW???? Because as far as I am aware, trade plates can only be used for legitamate sales of a car that already has a compliance plate or approval (Personal import plate) basically a car that can already be legal to drive on the road or is in the process of being complied and is already allocated an import permit BEFORE it enters the country...

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

In NSW???? Because as far as I am aware, trade plates can only be used for legitamate sales of a car that already has a compliance plate or approval (Personal import plate) basically a car that can already be legal to drive on the road or is in the process of being complied and is already allocated an import permit BEFORE it enters the country...
Peter H drives his XJ220 around on trade plates. I guess it's not a issue until someone gets run over.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

does everyone always get their "friends" to do the research before they buy an exotic?

Well I did - Thanks again Flamey!!!!!   :thumbsup:

Still owe you that beer..........

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Peter H drives his XJ220 around on trade plates. I guess it's not a issue until someone gets run over.

That is always the case..... It isn't illegal untill you get caught.