Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
I reckon it is a gorgeous looking car... I am sure that Aaron can afford the real one without any issue, but that is, if he was a Ford guy.. if you aren't a die-hard Ford guy, I wouldn't worry about buying a real deal... to own a great looking car like that with the value holding strongly (even though it is a replica), that's a no brainer if you can have it at a good price... enjoy driving it with the 427 and you can move on to another one when you are bored with it....

Knowing Aaron is a pure Ferrari/Porsche guy, if it was a repliace F or a P car (e.g. a replica F40), he wouldn't even considered and this thread would have never got started... Same to me and Andrei, we would never touch a replica Lambo no matter how cheap or how well built they are...

OK so I should just buy an original F40?
May the Horse be with you....

Offline TomE

I don't have a problem with good quality replicas when the originals are so rare, expensive and hard to get hold of, but I do when people try and claim them as the real deal.  Thats the difference IMO.

Jaguar Magazine (Australian guy) are exposing a D Type fake about to go to auction:

Jaguar Magazine added 3 new photos.
29 October
OH DEAR - FAKE D-TYPE XKD604 WITH FAKE HISTORY BEING OFFERED AS GENUINE BY MAJOR CLASSIC AUCTION HOUSE

We are not stopping anybody from bidding, but as we keep highlighting, the classic car world is riddled with clone and fake cars claiming to be genuine originals.

Surprisingly, RM Sothebys are promoting the sale of 'D-Type XKD604' as being an ex-works car sold to Ecurie Ecosse in crashed condition, then found mysteriously in their old tiny Merchiston Mews workshop about six years after they went broke. We believe the EE workshops were obviously cleared out when it was liquidated, and by the end of the decade well and truly occupied by another business.

RM Sothebys also claim XKD604 to be the first of six 1956 factory D-Types - but they seem to forget there was also XKD601, 602, 603, 605 and 606. XKD601 was the first 1956 D-Type built and the first tested too (February 1956).

In his highly respected Jaguar competition book the late Andrew Whyte wrote of XKD604: "Works notebook records, 'Crashed, complete write off. Towed home on trailer and stripped down on 7 & 8 May (1956)." He added "some bit doubtless cannibalised for other cars." Clearly, the car or the wreckage didn't go near Ecurie Ecosse in Edinburgh according to the works and the original car only raced once and ceased to exist at that time.

It crashed at Silverstone on the opening lap when driven by Desmond Titterington, and that was the end of the car.
To further discredit this fictitious history description, a de Dion suspension, claimed by RM Sothebys to be fitted to XKD604, was only ever trialled on the works D-Type prototype (XKC401), and practiced at Dundrod in Northern Ireland for the TT in 1955 on XKD505 - but never raced. They state the car only raced once (correctly), and that was at Silverstone so it did NOT have de Dion rear suspension at any stage of its one lap race career ...
RM Sotheby has written in the description of the car they are offering: "A Jaguar D-type Works Longnose, chassis XKD 604 will be sold at its Arizona sale, taking place on 28-29 January 2016, and is significant in that its the first of just six Works D-types built for the 1956 season, complete with a raft of factory upgrades including fuel injection and de Dion rear suspension, the latter a feature fitted solely to this car.

"An accident sustained during its first race at Silverstone in 1956 prematurely ended this D-types racing career after the decision was taken not to repair the car back at the factory, for financial reasons. It was subsequently sold to the Ecurie Ecosse racing team in Scotland where it remained, dormant, until 1971, before passing through a number of collectors to its current custodian, whos owned the car since 2004. Yes, it might not have the most desirable provenance, but the sale of XKD 604 is a rare opportunity to own a totally genuine D-type built, developed and run by the Works."
If that registration plate seems familiar - it is a works trade plate fitted lots of its cars.
Dear oh dear. Buyer beware.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "