Offline tellm

• Morning, chaps!

• Drives: Peugeot 308 XTE
Afternoon fellow petrolheads,

Im new to these boards, and I hate to be a bother, but I was wondering about the feasibility of importing a brand new vehicle from the United Kingdom.

I'm a fan of Mercedes Benz, and with the new CLS out in the UK, can I import one to Australia after paying government taxes?

The car I'm looking at is a brand new factory order 2011 CLS 350 Petrol, with options approx 51,000 GBP. Because I'll be buying under the tourist program, I'm exempt from VAT, but the car cannot be used in the UK.

Even if the cost of taxes and shipping comes to $50,000 , the expected price of the CLS when it lands is $170,000+ AUD. Therefore, the Brit import, with taxes, comes to only $130,000. With the savings I could buy a Fiat 500 as my city runabout ;)

Since the model will eventually be sold in Australia, and I've been told the UK office can order one fairly similar to Australian spec (KPH Speedo, RHD) and ADR, will compliance be an issue?

BTW I have only visited the UK once, and I'm interested because a friend from New Zealand imported a brand new E-Class from the UK.

Offline dkabab

a) forget this, its too hard, and you wont be able to do it
b) read step a

Offline tellm

• Morning, chaps!

Thanks for the reply, but please elaborate?

I have experience in dealing with pain-in-the-ass bureaucracy, I'm fine with this as long as its legal. I don't mind if it takes a few months. I just don't want customs officials crushing my brand new CLS :(

I wouldn't bother over a few thousand dollars (eg. price difference between USA and Canada), but this is a matter of 40,000-50,000 dollars!

I see no reason for the government to object. They get their taxes, same as if they sold an Australian spec model. The only people who would care in Mercedes-Benz Australia and dealers, as I'm bypassing their profit margins and buying fresh from the source :)

Offline dkabab

you have 2 options for import....

1. RAWS - there must be a workshop here in aus that has import/compliance approval for this model. i severly doubt there is one.

2. Personal Import - you go live, own, register, insure, drive, service etc... the car in another country for a minimum of 365 days, then you can bring it into the country, of course you will still need to do some compliance etc...

both methods arent cheap. 1- has high costs of compliance, 2- has living costs of a year in another country....

you cant just buy a new car and say to the gov, oh its alright, its the same as the one that MIGHT come here one day... im sure they will be happy with that...

even if you somehow managed to buy one and got import aproval to bring it here asap... it will still cost you around 170k and then you will be stuck with an 'import" and it will be worth 30% less than aus delivered models in a few years time when you plan on selling it.

Offline tellm

• Morning, chaps!

I'll pick option 3: Move to New Zealand

There I can import my new car without hassle, and with only 15% GST, no import duty. They accept European emission and crash safety standards (which the CLS meets).

I thank its frankly ridiculous that the Australian government keeps such a tight lid on imports. Obviously another move to shelter and subsidise the failing local car industry :(

Offline jmillard308

• Carpet Muncher

I'll pick option 3: Move to New Zealand

Off you go, then. :D

You are correct regarding the BS, but the upside is..................we don't have to live in NZ!!!!

Offline TomE

Anyone know about NZ import laws?

What are the prospects of:

1. Importing a car UK to NZ to be housed with a Australia mate who lives in Auckland.
2. Getting him to do a private import back into Australia after 12 months when he's back for Xmas?
3. Selling the car to me in Australia

Better than the UK option given you could at least do a few road trips in NZ during the 12 months there?

Offline tellm

• Morning, chaps!

Anyone know about NZ import laws?

What are the prospects of:

1. Importing a car UK to NZ to be housed with a Australia mate who lives in Auckland.
2. Getting him to do a private import back into Australia after 12 months when he's back for Xmas?
3. Selling the car to me in Australia

Better than the UK option given you could at least do a few road trips in NZ during the 12 months there?

I'm reasonably familiar with import laws in NZ, and:
1. Yes, UK to NZ is easy. Fairly straightforward, compliance is minimal (Checks by AANZ), GST of 15% payable on depreciated value of motor vehicle.
Apply for BioSecurity clearance from the NZ Customs, and arrange for customs clearance. As long as the car meets certain minimum emission an safety standards, registration from the Land Transport Authority is not an issue. Since the car is from UK, Euro 4 is the minimum emission standard.

2. NZ to AUS is a pain in the ass, as shown by the answers to my own post. Australian Government are stricklers about importing, and under personal imports, tax is free but the car still has to meet certain ADR's (Ie. Be Right Hand Drive). The car has to be given a compliance plate. I'm not 100% sure, ask an expert.

3. Again, not too sure, but I think you can sell to the public as long as the car meets ADR's

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
The thing is if its a car that isnt available here a lot of it comes down to money and how bad you want the car.

If youre importing to save money on a new car forget it.

If its something you want and you have loads of money, do it. Someone will do the raws if you want to cover their costs and pay them a profit.... There have been a few one off cars like the Pagani and the McLaren bought in before, its all a matter of how much money you have.

Offline Iwp

Tellm,

I hope you haven't been dissuaded.

Saw new CLS crossing Syd Harbour bridge on Saturday. Must have (though prefer lines of previous model).

Do you think it is feasible to import directly?

Iwp