Offline Horse

• Hung like Einstein

sorry, i mean is it common practice as a private individual to go on car sales/gumtree and say to the seller your car is worth 80k wholesale (redbook) and 110k retail so ill offer you 85k as im taking on the risk of purchasing privately when compared to a dealer

you can try anything you like really, will get one of two answers.  :p
Why such a long face?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
sorry, i mean is it common practice as a private individual to go on car sales/gumtree and say to the seller your car is worth 80k wholesale (redbook) and 110k retail so ill offer you 85k as im taking on the risk of purchasing privately when compared to a dealer

If it was me and someone offered me 85k on a car advertised at 110k, and dealer has already offered $80k, I'd take the dealers price all day every day, unless I was super desperate and really needed the $5k.   But I'm not most people...

Rather give the car for $5k less to a dealer than have some smug low baller get my car at nearly trade price. Also with the dealer he will probably give you a better price on your next purchase since he is going to make money from the trade in (so maybe get that $5k or more back on the new car).

That and once a buyer has your details and something goes wrong with the car... I'd rather not have some tight ass scraping $85k for a Ferrari knocking at my door for something that isn't my problem anymore.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline mattyg

• Adelaide -

• Drives: Audi Q5
  • Name: Matt G
you can try anything you like really, will get one of two answers.  :p

im guessing from experience
F**k & Off

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

• Name: Steve

If the seller is desperate to sell he will sell at any price, if he only has an offer of $85K and nothing else on the table he may have no other choice than to take it. I got cars and bikes in the past for few $ more than offered at trade in because the buyer would rather give somebody else the opportunity to get a few $ more than a low ball from the trader taking the P/X.
The last thing the dealer needs is your P/X so you pay full tote odd on the deal, if get rid of the P/X you can negotiate a better deal.
The Australian market today would have around 30 360ís for sale, I can go and get one now for as low as $90K and at a squeeze $85K private and at least two for $100K, maybe five for $105K rest are around the $110/115K range some are good UK cars, some are high mileage UK cars saying that they are low Kís, some are shitters. AU delivered cars are also for sale with a few more Kís but honest with full service history asking a little more than a UK import.
I have been offered a very nice 360 for a $100K and the seller is willing to also pay for my flight to pick it up. The one Iím really after is still not sorted; we are close but no deal yet. I have made my offer and if it doesnít sell in a few weeks at least the seller knows that he has a buyer to fall back on.
I doesnít matter what you are buying or selling the rules are the same, take it to the market and see how it goes.     

Offline mattyg

• Adelaide -

If it was me and someone offered me 85k on a car advertised at 110k, and dealer has already offered $80k, I'd take the dealers price all day every day, unless I was super desperate and really needed the $5k.   But I'm not most people...

Rather give the car for $5k less to a dealer than have some smug low baller get my car at nearly trade price. Also with the dealer he will probably give you a better price on your next purchase since he is going to make money from the trade in (so maybe get that $5k or more back on the new car).

That and once a buyer has your details and something goes wrong with the car... I'd rather not have some tight ass scraping $85k for a Ferrari knocking at my door for something that isn't my problem anymore.

good points. Thanks for the info on both posts....

As soon as im old & mature enough im aiming at an RS5 as my daily but with the mrs and dog im prob gonna end up with a 4WD FJCruiser :(

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

Letís say that you have prostituted the car yards and they donít want to buy the car off you and you need to sell it.
Nothing else is on the table. The so called tight arse is pulling you out of the shit!
A deal is made were buyer and seller are happy and shake on it. A buyers price is always lower than the sellers asking price unless itís already a great deal or you drop on a must have this car at all cost and do a sales pitch that he buys. Either way both parties should be happy. 

Offline mattyg

• Adelaide -

Letís say that you have prostituted the car yards and they donít want to buy the car off you and you need to sell it.
Nothing else is on the table. The so called tight arse is pulling you out of the shit!
A deal is made were buyer and seller are happy and shake on it. A buyers price is always lower than the sellers asking price unless itís already a great deal or you drop on a must have this car at all cost and do a sales pitch that he buys. Either way both parties should be happy.

or head interstate and normally cheaper again with better stock/selection

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

or head interstate and normally cheaper again with better stock/selection

That is interstate, nothing in Adelaide.

Offline Malco

Wouldnt recommend this establishment at all .... bought an exotic, sent pics of log books / manuals etc during the negotiations and when the car was delivered they were no where to be seen. They then denied they even existed after sending me the pics !!!!

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Wouldnt recommend this establishment at all .... bought an exotic, sent pics of log books / manuals etc during the negotiations and when the car was delivered they were no where to be seen. They then denied they even existed after sending me the pics !!!!

There you go champ, go your hardest. Be the first to write a review for them.
https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=S8zVU6jzOqGN8QeCzIGwDA&gws_rd=ssl#q=Jemson+Motors+Sydney&safe=off&lrd=lrd