Offline coco

• "sdrawkcab"

But Coalition frontbencher Eric Abetz said only about 1500 of the one million cars sold in Australia each year would be affected.

"Nobody could argue that this is going to have a serious impact on climate change," he said.

...the way i see it, its still better than nothing.
V-12 60 degree, light-alloy block, mid mounted, rear wheel drive, Dual overhead camshafts, four valves/cylinder, 5167 cc, 455 bhp at 7000 rpm, 501 Nm (369 lbs.ft.) at 5200 rpm, 293 Km/h, ON A SESAME SEED BUN!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Yeah - and out of those 1,500 cars - how many of those are going to be garage queens which do maybe 3,000km in a year?  Fart in a hurricane.

That's why it makes more sense to add more tax to the petrol price, that will do 11ty billion times more if you tax it up to $5 bucks a litre.  Of course that's not the answer, but hey.

Offline coco

• "sdrawkcab"

Yeah - and out of those 1,500 cars - how many of those are going to be garage queens which do maybe 3,000km in a year?  Fart in a hurricane.

That's why it makes more sense to add more tax to the petrol price, that will do 11ty billion times more if you tax it up to $5 bucks a litre.  Of course that's not the answer, but hey.

oof, becareful what you wish for dude...otherwise the bread at your local supermarket will go from $2-3 a loaf, to $5-6.
V-12 60 degree, light-alloy block, mid mounted, rear wheel drive, Dual overhead camshafts, four valves/cylinder, 5167 cc, 455 bhp at 7000 rpm, 501 Nm (369 lbs.ft.) at 5200 rpm, 293 Km/h, ON A SESAME SEED BUN!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I'm not wishing for it at all - I know the flow on effects, but come to think of it I'd rather pay more for stuff if the reasons behind it were appropriate AND it was taxed transparently - but I don't get how this became anything whatsoever to do with climate change - that's just a deflection of the issue if that's what the pooliticians are spraying.

This BS of removing it from contention if it's under 7L/km - how the hell does that make the car less "luxurious"?

Good news with that though is the Elise should probably come under that :p

Offline j15

I think this idea has merit if you scrap stamp duty, rego, and greenslip fees which can add up to a few bucks. The government can recoup the cash by taxing the hell out of petrol and this way the system works as a user pays type of arrangement because you'll only be paying tax on the car if you drive it. If it stays in the garage, then you don't pay anything, save your cash, and save the world.

Of course i'm dreaming and this will never happen

Offline coco

• "sdrawkcab"

I think this idea has merit if you scrap stamp duty, rego, and greenslip fees which can add up to a few bucks. The government can recoup the cash by taxing the hell out of petrol and this way the system works as a user pays type of arrangement because you'll only be paying tax on the car if you drive it. If it stays in the garage, then you don't pay anything, save your cash, and save the world.

Of course i'm dreaming and this will never happen

but thats the thing, you can tax the crap out of petrol, then everything goes up.

Offline waz356

Can someone who knows please explain LCT.

From what I can gather it was 25% (now 33%?) on everything above $57K. Has that $57k threshold changed?

i.e. $70k car is $13k above the threshold so LCT is $3250 (or $4290 @ 33%) plus there's a $2740 stampduty bill on top of that.

Is this payable on all car sales or just new cars?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

From what I can gather it was 25% (now 33%?) on everything above $57K. Has that $57k threshold changed?

i.e. $70k car is $13k above the threshold so LCT is $3250 (or $4290 @ 33%) plus there's a $2740 stampduty bill on top of that.

I can only answer the last question.  LCT is only payable on new cars (or more precisely, on cars for which LCT has not previously been paid).

Edit: Don't forget - there is also some kind of exemption or reduction for lower emission cars.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter

doesn't apply to used cars. figures are more or less right.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
Edit: Don't forget - there is also some kind of exemption or reduction for lower emission cars.

really? when did that start?

I love my car. Buy your own