Offline Big A

• Drives: 458
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has spent some time behind the wheel of both the m3 and the new c63s and your overall opinion on the vehicles. Owned the current m5 and the last gen v8 m3 but never a merc. Was a fan of the v8 m3 being more raw and aggressive than the m5. Found the m5 to comfortable and smooth and not aggressive enough, which I guess suits the 5 series market.
C63 seems to be very popular and looks to be out shining the m3 at the moment.
Was thinking an m3 with the m performance exhaust would give me the refined drive of the m3 and the make up for the lack of sound compared to the c63. I think I can get into a m3 with the m exhaust and the carbon kit which includes a carbon fibre rear diffuser, boot lip , front lip and side skirts for low to mid 160k.
From what I'm hearing the c63s comes well optioned and might look at the optional wheels and the word is you are looking at $170k to drive away in one.
Any opinions advice is appreciated.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has spent some time behind the wheel of both the m3 and the new c63s and your overall opinion on the vehicles. Owned the current m5 and the last gen v8 m3 but never a merc. Was a fan of the v8 m3 being more raw and aggressive than the m5. Found the m5 to comfortable and smooth and not aggressive enough, which I guess suits the 5 series market.
C63 seems to be very popular and looks to be out shining the m3 at the moment.
Was thinking an m3 with the m performance exhaust would give me the refined drive of the m3 and the make up for the lack of sound compared to the c63. I think I can get into a m3 with the m exhaust and the carbon kit which includes a carbon fibre rear diffuser, boot lip , front lip and side skirts for low to mid 160k.
From what I'm hearing the c63s comes well optioned and might look at the optional wheels and the word is you are looking at $170k to drive away in one.
Any opinions advice is appreciated.

The C63 will cost more but comes with a full house of options and it will.also hold its value Heaps better.

The BMW is underpowered compared to the C63 and the market is really being tough on the M3 for this reason.

In my opinion if you have the extra cash, then there is no decision to be had.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline mtarone

There's no right or wrong here, drive both and go with what suits you the most and makes you happy.

Offline Big A

The C63 will cost more but comes with a full house of options and it will.also hold its value Heaps better.

The BMW is underpowered compared to the C63 and the market is really being tough on the M3 for this reason.

In my opinion if you have the extra cash, then there is no decision to be had.
I have no issue in paying the extra. By the time I add the extras I want on the m3 there will be less than 10k difference. I do feel like you are getting a lot more for your money with the c63. My only grudge with the c63 is those odd rear lights, will need to grow on me.
I didn't mention that it will mostly be driven by the mrs with two baby seats in the back. A more practical choice would be like a x5 but the wife wants a performance car and I won't complain when I drive it on weekends.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I have no issue in paying the extra. By the time I add the extras I want on the m3 there will be less than 10k difference. I do feel like you are getting a lot more for your money with the c63. My only grudge with the c63 is those odd rear lights, will need to grow on me.
I didn't mention that it will mostly be driven by the mrs with two baby seats in the back. A more practical choice would be like a x5 but the wife wants a performance car and I won't complain when I drive it on weekends.

Don't like the tail lights and have young kids? Get the wagon!

Offline mtarone

Don't like the tail lights and have young kids? Get the wagon!

Agreed. If it's a family car then the wagon makes much more sense.

Offline Alpinem3e92

Loaded non LCI m3 (minus the carbon bits) can be had for $130-135, bargain

Offline Big A

You guys trying to get me in the dog house. If I even suggest a wagon I would be in trouble. We love our sports cars and a wagon would be out of the question. Just going to a sedan has been a compromise. We had an m3 coupe previously with 1 baby seat in the back. But now with two baby seats we had to go to sedan.
Hey my suggestion for the mrs was a Subaru Forester. Perfect for dropping of the kids to school and park down at the local shops. But after buying my 458 6 months ago I've lost all ability to argue the practicality point of view.

Offline Big A

Loaded non LCI m3 (minus the carbon bits) can be had for $130-135, bargain
That cheap. 2015 models built prior to July would be pre lci wouldn't they? Online they are still asking 150-160 for demo stock that would be pre lci. Might have to go see a dealer regarding this. I could add the m exhaust and carbon kit and still drive away at 145k , that might sway me towards the bmw. $25k saving over the c63 would make the m3 a great deal.

Offline TJB

IIRC, the standard 3-Series LCI arrives in October, so the updated M3 should come around then too. Aesthetically, there really isn't that much difference between LCI and pre-LCI (which is somewhat disappointing, given how the F30 3-Series apparently hasn't sold quite as strongly as its E46/E9X predecessors, and is starting to look a bit tired against newer competition), but a lot of features that were previously options are now standard, and the price has been slashed to $140k brand new. The sound issue presumably derives from how the M3 is a twin-turbo six, whereas the C63 S is a V8, but I agree that (when engine is cold) the M3's noise isn't quite up to expectations.

You may be better off getting in early on an LCI M3, should you choose the BMW over the Mercedes.

If you drive one, I'd love to know your thoughts on how the new M3 compares to your F10 M5 and the V8 M3.

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ McLaren ] McLaren 720S psw Today at 21:52
[ Lamborghini ] Lamborghini Esavox Condor Man Today at 17:14
[ Cars ] crazy wedding? looney Today at 17:12
[ Cars ] Now who is a VERY HAPPY Lad :) Andy@MMRT Today at 11:25
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] Jokes PA Today at 11:19
[ Racing ] 2017 Formula 1 Season IExperiment Today at 09:21