Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I think Porsche are doing that i.e. something below the 918 but above the 911?

I hope so.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
As an owner, you want the brand to sell enough to be viable, but not so many that it ceases to be rare and exclusive. McLaren now needs a model above the 650/675, ideally with a new chassis and different engine configuration. There's nowhere for a 650/675 owner to go - that leaves the brand vulnerable.
No SUV?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
As an owner, you want the brand to sell enough to be viable, but not so many that it ceases to be rare and exclusive. McLaren now needs a model above the 650/675, ideally with a new chassis and different engine configuration. There's nowhere for a 650/675 owner to go - that leaves the brand vulnerable.

IMO that is a problem that Ferrari now has, they are no longer exclusive due to the production volumes and that is only going to get worse with the new ex Chrysler boss at the helm.

I agree on McLaren, the range top to bottom is all based on the same architecture and it shows.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Let's hope not.

They have said no. "We are a sports car company". No sedans, No SUVs.

I seem to have heard that before though…!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
IMO that is a problem that Ferrari now has, they are no longer exclusive due to the production volumes and that is only going to get worse with the new ex Chrysler boss at the helm.

I agree on McLaren, the range top to bottom is all based on the same architecture and it shows.

The problem as far as I see it is that the cars don't elicit the same wow factor as other brands.  I'm not commenting on the drive because I can't.  And by all accounts they are the better driving machine than its other contemporaries.  But something about their cars just misses the mark from the wow factor.  It just doesn't seem as special as a 458 or a Huracan.  It just leaves me feeling a little underwhelmed.  Even with its fancy doors, low stance silly headlights (650 & 675) it just doesn't seem to have any pizazz. I think I've said it before, it seems to lack a soul in the same way people always used to describe Porsche. And I guess that's why people vote with their wallets.

I guess it's not scientific but on top gear after their road trip, all 3 presenters agreed that the McLaren was the best car, but they'd all have brought the Ferrari instead.

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com
The problem as far as I see it is that the cars don't elicit the same wow factor as other brands.  I'm not commenting on the drive because I can't.  And by all accounts they are the better driving machine than its other contemporaries.  But something about their cars just misses the mark from the wow factor.  It just doesn't seem as special as a 458 or a Huracan.  It just leaves me feeling a little underwhelmed.  Even with its fancy doors, low stance silly headlights (650 & 675) it just doesn't seem to have any pizazz. I think I've said it before, it seems to lack a soul in the same way people always used to describe Porsche. And I guess that's why people vote with their wallets.

I guess it's not scientific but on top gear after their road trip, all 3 presenters agreed that the McLaren was the best car, but they'd all have brought the Ferrari instead.

I tend to agree. I got to spend a couple of days driving both cars in Sydney last year and although the 650S was more impressive in terms of what it could do, I lusted after the Speciale. The 675LT may change that, who knows.

Of course, guys like mhh and Shack (and I assume a few others around the country) have both cars so no decision to be made!

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
The conquest sale - choosing the Mac over a Fezza or a Lambo - is a hard sell. Particularly for those shopping for their first supercar (lucky bastards!)
But for those who have already had one or several Fezzas and Lambos, or still have one...that's the market segment I reckon. They have cash, they've had italian, now they want something different. The McLaren is certainly that.
To me, the McLaren F1 was always the ultimate, but it was for gillionaries then, and its for mega-gazillionaires now.
With the new Mac...still for the wealthy but potentially attainable.
The dream of a McLaren in the garage is a powerful concept to many.
Look at what they've achieved in 5 years. I reckon hats off to them.
The only Ferrari I would lust after equally with the 675LT is an F12.
In the Lambo department...Huracan looks lovely but I'd still pick a 650S.
Aventador is gorgeous but where can you use one? And that gearbox?
Again this is just my very very humble opinion as a dreamer not a purchaser.
But for me, it's all about the big macs at the moment, and I'm getting hungry!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The McLaren seems to attract the most attention on the street, probably because Ferraris aren't that rare (having a much bigger back catalogue). In terms of preference, if I haven't driven either for a while, its usually the McLaren that I head for. That's why it's done twice as many kms as the Ferrari in the same time. If my main driving was the track, perhaps the Ferrari would be the one I used more. I never go to the track, so I'll never know.

I drove a Huracan after the launch last year in Melbourne and I could scarcely believe how much better the Mac felt when I got back into it. Hardly a fair test to drive around suburban Melbourne but the H felt about as exciting as a Golf. I'm holding out hope that the SL version feels more special.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
The McLaren seems to attract the most attention on the street

That is interesting. Do you think its because of the colour?

How about compared to the Murcielago? I think big Lambo's must take the cake for "look at me" factor

(Excluding the 918 of course)