Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Not my words...this is from Teamspeed forum....

There is no 991GT2 and there won't be one! This was officially confirmed by August Achleitner (model range CEO - Porsche). The reason is, that there is no room for a GT2 anymore. The current Turbo S and the upcoming GT3RS will be so fast, that it makes no sense to release a GT2. It won't be faster, because the 6-cylinder boxer-engine has come to it's limit and due to the 2 wheel drive (of a GT2), the grip has come to its limit too!

But there will be a new model range called the 988. It's gonna be a mid-engine (flat 8 cylinder) and it will look like this:

That model has its position between the 918 and the GT3RS. People call it the mini-918 already
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS
I kind of like the idea.

But there's something not quite right about that pic.
The headlights are out of proportion or something...

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

Offline JBO

I kind of like the idea.

But there's something not quite right about that pic.
The headlights are out of proportion or something...

Yeah just an artists mock up but you get the idea...If it looks anywhere near as good as the 918 it'll be amazing!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Yeah just an artists mock up but you get the idea...If it looks anywhere near as good as the 918 it'll be amazing!

One thing's for certain - it will look nothing like the pic.  So long as they don't use the designer of the Panamera, Cayenne or Macan to design it, I'll be happy.

Offline JBO

The Panamera, Cayenne and Macan are all designs developed from shared platforms which compromises design to some degree.
The Boxster, Cayman and 911 are not shared platform cars and as a result are the best looking cars Porsche makes.
I doubt the 988 will be developed from a shared platform but we'll see....
In other news you can now rent Boxsters and Caymans from Hertz in Australia from Melbourne, Sydney and Brisvegas.
$564 a day.
Expensive but I'll be doing it in Melbourne, hopefully next month, and heading straight out of the city as soon as possible!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

In other news you can now rent Boxsters and Caymans from Hertz in Australia from Melbourne, Sydney and Brisvegas.
$564 a day.
Expensive but I'll be doing it in Melbourne, hopefully next month, and heading straight out of the city as soon as possible!

Good idea. Get roof racks and get down to Torquay. :)

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
If it looks in line with the 981 & 918 it will be awesome.

Its also no real loss not having a GT2, it always seemed a bit pointless in their range to me.

Offline JBO

Good idea. Get roof racks and get down to Torquay. :)

way ahead of you!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

If it looks in line with the 981 & 918 it will be awesome.

Its also no real loss not having a GT2, it always seemed a bit pointless in their range to me.

I'd still like to see a GT2. The Turbo is a bit soft and the GT3 lacks the power to keep up with a Speciale or McLaren.