Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Revealed in March if not beforeÖ

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline dkabab

Looks like more of a facelift than a new model

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

This one is supposed to share more architecture with the Huracan than the old one did with the Gallardo.

Offline JBO

from Car UK magazine

The new car will offer carbonfibre for the firewall, transmission tunnel, and the carís B-pillars.

Sources predict the carbon tweaks make the body alone 24kg lighter than the old R8ís, and up to 13% stiffer. Overall, the new R8 is thought to be around 100kg lighter than its predecessor.

Whatís powering the new R8?

The entry-level R8 is reported to stick with a naturally aspirated 4.2-litre V8, though power is tipped to be be lifted from todayís 424bhp output to an RS5-matching 444bhp. The 5.2-litre V10 also sticks around: output rises from 518bhp to around 542bhp Ė up there with the outgoing R8 V10 Plus.

This may prove to be a last hurrah for the atmospheric V10, however. Insiders report that part-way through the new R8ís life, the V10 will make way for a new 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 version. Itís likely to be a retuned version of the bi-turbo V8 used in the Audi RS6, RS7 and Bentley Continental GT, though itíll reach its highest state of tune yet.

Around 600bhp is on the cards, marginally outpunching the Ferrari 458 Speciale, and Ė controversially Ė the R8ís Lamborghini sister car. A soft-top R8 Spyder is also in the pipeline, taking the fight to the Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet and McLarenís 650S Spider.

The new Audi R8 doesnít look all-newÖ

Like the all-new Audi TT, itís expected Audi will pursue an evolutionary design theme to the new R8, instead of tearing up the styling rulebook. Slimmer LED front and rear lights feature, while the flanks are apparently tidied by binning the colour-contrast Ďsidebladesí that marked out the Mk1 R8. At the back, rectangular exhausts replace the bazooka-sized circular pipes of the current car, and the huge new diffuser is wider and more visible, pointing to an aerodynamics rethink. Atop the rear deck, a pop-up spoiler is visible.

Inside the 2015 Audi R8

The new chassis makes the new R8 more spacious inside than the old car, and itíll be crammed full of tech too. The dated infotainment system weíre used to is gone; in comes a large monitor in the driverís instrument binnacle. Like the new TTís interface, itíll display both the MMI infotainment system and the normal speedometer and rev-counter depending on the selected mode. A head-up display will appear on the R8ís options list for the first time.

What else will I find in the new R8ís cabin?

A distinct lack of open-gate six-speed manual gearbox. As with the new Lamborghini Huracan, the only available transmission is set to be a seven-speed dual-clutch paddleshift job, connected to Quattro all-wheel drive.
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline jamesatfish

from Car UK magazine

This may prove to be a last hurrah for the atmospheric V10, however. Insiders report that part-way through the new R8ís life, the V10 will make way for a new 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 version. Itís likely to be a retuned version of the bi-turbo V8 used in the Audi RS6, RS7 and Bentley Continental GT, though itíll reach its highest state of tune yet.

Around 600bhp is on the cards, marginally outpunching the Ferrari 458 Speciale, and Ė controversially Ė the R8ís Lamborghini sister car.

Interesting comment they make, trying to position the R8 at the top of the tree, though not really true.

The Huracan is currently pumping out 610hp and you imagine that it'll get a facelift and power hike itself around the time that Audi drop in the TTV8.  And although the 458 Speciale is 3hp down on that figure it's already been replaced by the 488 which is 60hp ahead in the game.

Offline JBO

First ride with EVO magazine - it's now v10 only, with the v10 plus sporting 602hp...

http://www.evo.co.uk/audi/r8/15280/2015-audi-r8-explored-first-details-on-the-brand-new-supercar

Offline JBO

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6UfaU5ueo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6UfaU5ueo</a>

Offline JBO