Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Honestly, the Ferrari PR department's childish histrionics over the La Ferrari are becoming tiresome at best and completely embarrassing at worst.

I am in 2 minds over this stuff. We all know that press tests reach vast audiences these days and they can make or break a cars reputation. Ferrari act like complete pricks over testing; but I agree with the logic behind it. When Ferrari supply a test car it is in perfect performance specification,  perfect condition and sports brand new tyres. If someone tests a customers car it will almost certainly not be in the optimum performance specification and may well be thrashed to within an inch of its life and on rooted tyres.
The performance figures generated by the factory vs the customer car would be vastly different.
It's not like the factory car is unrepresentative of what you could buy off the shelf. You could easily have 100kg weight difference between luxury option spec and performance spec.

I think it is fair enough that Ferrari want the optimum example of their products on test.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Porsche and McLaren found a way to have their machines compared, while Ferrari will only play the game if it's by their rules.

McLaren were certainly disappointed to be bested in a lap time by the 918, but they're having no trouble selling P1s and have come from nowhere to become a respected player in the mass market supercar game in only a few years. The comparison is hardly damaging them.

As for Ferrari, as if their brand will suffer a devastating blow if the 918 happens to be one second faster around one race track. They'll be just fine. But they won't play because they're not dictating the terms.

I love the fact that Porsche are like, sure, we know our car is awesome, bring it on.

Ferrari say "only if we can have everything perfectly to our advantage"

I still reckon a 918 customer car on shit tyres would blow the doors off a La Ferrari, factory fettled or not.

But we will never find out because I suspect Ferrari already know the answer...

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

what's the heat cycle tyres thing all about?

my mate carlos too!!!!

Offline dkabab

Wait a tick. Maybe ferrari got top gear cancelled to avoid showing their loss against porsche and mclaren that they were going to air in the final episodes......

It all makes sense now

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
I love a conspiracy theory!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Typical Ferrari. Always perform worse than their numbers suggest.
what's Ferrari got to do with this?
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
I wonder what the servicing costs of these puppies will be.

That Blue Veyron that was poking around Melbourne had 2,500kms and it came with $400k worth of service receipts! WTF!

Only time will tell whether the electronica in these new cars will be a nightmare to maintain.
May the Horse be with you....