Offline T0M722

Gee listening to that 275 NART brought back a lot of memories. I was fortunate to spend a lot of time behind the wheel of my fathers 275 GTB/4 and not surprisingly it sounded exactly like the NART. That was when Ferraris sounded fabulous just because that was the way they were and not because of some geek buried in a sound lab in Maranello. Todays Ferraris sound so artificial by comparison.

What Ferraris did your father own?
:)

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
What Ferraris did your father own?

308 GTB,  275 GTB/4 and Testarossa. He bought the 308 new in 1978, the 275 in 1984 and the Testarossa a few months before he died in 1989.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
308 GTB,  275 GTB/4 and Testarossa. He bought the 308 new in 1978, the 275 in 1984 and the Testarossa a few months before he died in 1989.

Awesome to read.

Did he sell the 275??
May the Horse be with you....

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Awesome to read.

Did he sell the 275??

He died before the end of the mid to late 1980's boom in Ferrari values. He was offered $2 million for it just before he went overseas to take delivery of the Testarossa he had ordered 4 years earlier. Remember this was 24 years ago so you're talking Toorak mansion money, for a car he had paid $105k for just 5 years earlier. He wasn't interested as he used the car a LOT and loved every second behind the wheel. So he still owned it when he died. After that the car stayed with my mother for about 5 years and I sold it on her behalf when she felt it was time to part with it. By that time the boom had imploded spectacularly and values collapsed. Values have only recently climbed back to levels last seen at the peak of the 80's boom.
I was the only person to drive it after my father died, so I got to spend a fair bit of time behind the wheel. It was a pretty special car that one.

Offline tdc911

Will be interesting to see it after it is returned to its original colour.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

He died before the end of the mid to late 1980's boom in Ferrari values. He was offered $2 million for it just before he went overseas to take delivery of the Testarossa he had ordered 4 years earlier. Remember this was 24 years ago so you're talking Toorak mansion money, for a car he had paid $105k for just 5 years earlier. He wasn't interested as he used the car a LOT and loved every second behind the wheel. So he still owned it when he died. After that the car stayed with my mother for about 5 years and I sold it on her behalf when she felt it was time to part with it. By that time the boom had imploded spectacularly and values collapsed. Values have only recently climbed back to levels last seen at the peak of the 80's boom.
I was the only person to drive it after my father died, so I got to spend a fair bit of time behind the wheel. It was a pretty special car that one.

Scott, being a car your father loved, did you have any second thoughts in selling it?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Will be interesting to see it after it is returned to its original colour.

I think it will look fantastic in Avorio.  John Allan remembers working on it when it was new and he liked it better in original colours.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Scott, being a car your father loved, did you have any second thoughts in selling it?

Yes I was very sad to see it go; but it wasn't my decision to make and I didn't have the money to buy it. It still sold for about 3 times what I paid for my first house.

I still have the 308 GTB which he bought new in 1978, I purchased it from him when he bought the 275 GTB/4.
All the other cars come and go; but the 308 will be with me until the day I die.

Offline app

That was really amazing to read :thumbsup:

What caused the boom and how did it start and end?

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

That was really amazing to read :thumbsup:

What caused the boom and how did it start and end?

Gordon gekkho