Offline Alpinem3e92

All I know is I can't wait for my Box Spyder to arrive end of Jan.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
All I know is I can't wait for my Box Spyder to arrive end of Jan.

Freaking awesome cars. I assume you're getting silver like your avatar pic?
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline Alpinem3e92

Freaking awesome cars. I assume you're getting silver like your avatar pic?

Yep, rhodium with the classic red interior. AND IT HAS A FARKEN GEARSTICK :D

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I'm an optimist when it comes to Porsche. 9 times out of 10 they get it right.
Everyone said the boxster was a mistake. It saved them.
Everyone said the Cayenne was a mistake. It made them hugely profitable.
Everyone panned the Panamera for it's looks (one of the rare mis-steps for the brand). Despite that is has sold well in the US and Europe and they're fixing the styling.
Many said the Macan was a mistake for the brand. Huge success.
Many said the 918 should have ditched the hybrid tech. I know one bloke at least that might disagree!
Will be interesting to see what these 718s are like. I have a feeling the next GT4 will retain a 6 cylinder so the purists will be happy.
Also I believe they've confirmed the next GT3 will have a manual option.

Whilst i'm sure it will be fantastic, and I also love Turbo technology,

I have an issue with the philosophy behind Turbocharging cars these days.   I love turbo's they make a car more powerful, but the market is only turbocharging cars to retain a normal amount of power when they downsize an engine :(

why not leave the NA engine the same size and turbo it. Make a VW R32 have 300kw+ and then when its not running at full power it would still be more fuel efficient, rather than dropping it back to a 2l 4 cylinder :(

Offline dkabab

Whilst i'm sure it will be fantastic, and I also love Turbo technology,

I have an issue with the philosophy behind Turbocharging cars these days.   I love turbo's they make a car more powerful, but the market is only turbocharging cars to retain a normal amount of power when they downsize an engine :(

why not leave the NA engine the same size and turbo it. Make a VW R32 have 300kw+ and then when its not running at full power it would still be more fuel efficient, rather than dropping it back to a 2l 4 cylinder :(

More power equals stronger drive line, better suspension, better brakes, better tyres etc... Costs go up a lot

Offline looney

More power equals stronger drive line, better suspension, better brakes, better tyres etc... Costs go up a lot

my example was only of a low end car where they went the 'boring' direction.

but in the case of a Porsche, I'm quite sure the Carrera S drivetrain, suspension & Brakes could have handled significantly more power, yet they downsized and still keep the performance on par with the outgoing model.

As they will do with the Boxster & Cayman. I'm sure either of those could easily handle an extra 100+hp without it detrimentally affecting any of the stock components.

Offline looney

Yep, rhodium with the classic red interior. AND IT HAS A FARKEN GEARSTICK :D

silver on red :D awesome.

Is rhodium the blue'y tinged silver they have now?

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
This be it.

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline looney

Offline dkabab

my example was only of a low end car where they went the 'boring' direction.

but in the case of a Porsche, I'm quite sure the Carrera S drivetrain, suspension & Brakes could have handled significantly more power, yet they downsized and still keep the performance on par with the outgoing model.

As they will do with the Boxster & Cayman. I'm sure either of those could easily handle an extra 100+hp without it detrimentally affecting any of the stock components.

youre probably right... but adding turbos to an existing engine doesn't necessarily make it more efficient and meet emissions targets.

also, you make the stock models more powerful, you have to make the top of line models more powerful etc... and then where do you go for the next model...

dont worry, im sure by the time the 992 or 993 comes around, they will be pushing out 500hp in the carrera s equivalent.