Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
The next Carrera S will seat 5 overweight adults and weigh 2 tonnes and follow hyundais lead and be a 3 door, 1 door on the driver side so the driver can feel sporty, and 2 on the passenger side for the wife and easy access to baby seats

The generation after that will feature camry style advertising, with a family happily wheeling their twins about, all dressed in pastels and leather sandals, whilst the dad happily picks up dog shit. <--- its a real ad for a camry

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
youre probably right... but adding turbos to an existing engine doesn't necessarily make it more efficient and meet emissions targets.

also, you make the stock models more powerful, you have to make the top of line models more powerful etc... and then where do you go for the next model...

dont worry, im sure by the time the 992 or 993 comes around, they will be pushing out 500hp in the carrera s equivalent.

it will make it more efficient in that it will only be using 30% of it's power instead of 60% when you're going from the traffic lights :P.

and that's the point, why not make them bonkers, if the top model has to be that much faster again, so be it, those who breath the air up there could afford to pay more if the car was more expensive.

It's all just a rant becuase i finally want a micro hatch with 300hp and 4wd and nobody ever seems to be interested to build it :(

I understand emissions targets, but would still like the option to be able to chose what I like, rather than what I'm dictated I can own.  Surely a Lambo V12 emits more than a 1.4 polo. so why does the Polo need to meet whatever target it does? surely there can be a monster version that has the same performance as a Lambo V12 and would still have less emissions?

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
it is emission targets over the whole company not just each car

Online looney

it is emission targets over the whole company not just each car

So how do the likes of Pagani, Koenigsegg manage to sell cars? its not like they're owned by a parent company that can spread the emissions target out among a bunch of grocery getters.

Online NBTBRV8

I will be amazed if more than 5% of the people who say that they want a manual GT3 actually buy one.

You could well be right.  I asked my dealer to find out how many 981 Cayman GTS' were imported and how many are manual.  They told me today that 62 have been imported and only 5 of those are manual, so if mine is still on track it will probably be the 6th.  Doesn't bode well for a business case to keep the manual alive.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
You could well be right.  I asked my dealer to find out how many 981 Cayman GTS' were imported and how many are manual.  They told me today that 62 have been imported and only 5 of those are manual, so if mine is still on track it will probably be the 6th.  Doesn't bode well for a business case to keep the manual alive.

Ferrari had the same experience across their range, so they asked themselves why they were spending a fortune in development and homologation of manual versions for each model to reap a mere handful (literally) of annual sales. So they did the logical thing and axed all manual versions.

Plenty of people  say they want a manual; but the reality is the complete opposite. The manual is dead - end of story.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
I chose my car because it was a manual. We are still out there, despite the fact we are now a minority.
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I chose my car because it was a manual. We are still out there, despite the fact we are now a minority.

Depends on the actual speed of the car. My previous turbo was a tip. I believe it was just to fast for my ability if it was a manual.

My sti is manual but it's straight line speed is a lot less and I can manage it. I am also 4 sec faster a lap in the sti over the turbo.

But on the road in a modern car they are just to fast for the normal skill level driver to use "properly" or efficiently.

Online looney

its strange isnt it.

when these cars are new, the new car buyers want the toys like the PDK/Egear/F1 etc.

but when you look at the used market, the manual's are the ones that seem to attract a premium now, probably because the enthusiasts dont necessarily have the same amount of money as some people who buy new (not that i'm saying new car buyers arent enthusiasts)

Offline Alpinem3e92

A view that I have held for a long time is that dealers, importers etc bring in auto/PDK/whatevers as floor stock (cause anyone can drive one vs a manual), people come they buy and drive home in their shiny new auto whatever toy, why cause that was what the dealer had then and there, versus waiting 3-4-6 months to get..... Say a manual.

The dealers and importers look at the sales figures, wow, we sold lots of auto/PDK/whatevers last month, we better order some more..... And so it goes.

It's a theory, I like it.

My wife drives a manual mk7 golf R, special order, and I drive a frog R manual of course and the Spyder is a manual, we will continue to assist with the deposit of lightly used manuals cars in the market place.