Offline David B

Hi all,

Finally looking to get  a 911 for myself maybe at the end of the year.  Always wanted something a little bit sporty and exotic but with 4 daughters its been dificult to stash the cash required.  End of 2016 I get some extra moola which I may not see for a long time after so its now or never so to speak.

Budget is in the 60-70K hoping to stretch to a 911 997 model but have noticed a few things.

The manuals seem to have held value better around $9K, but theres a lot less of them so less range in terms of colours and KM's etc etc.

All car guides seem to say 997 manual as the best "budget" second hand (reliable, not so much to keep on the road etc) so thats my initial want but I was hoping some comments from those with a history of 2005-2007 997's could give me some advice and share their experiences with me.

I am not adverse to a "project" car like an esprit for $50K with time and around $20 K to get it right but at 6"2 and many comments about cheap esprits being cars spawned by the devil, has me thinking of going the "safe" 911 route (IMS issues aside)!!

Comments most welcome.

Offline barra

Although I have never owned a 997 I have shopped for them previously and regret not buying a particular one.

It depends how you enjoy your cars but I would happily buy a manual 911 for $70k and would happily knock back a tiptronic for $50k.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

It depends how you enjoy your cars but I would happily buy a manual 911 for $70k and would happily knock back a tiptronic for $50k.

This ^^^^

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

I've had 3 of these now and still have a 997.1TT.

The first I owned was a targa (glass roof) tiptronic, 3.8 4S - this was one of the best daily driver cars I've ever had. Planted, reliable, excellent visibility and with the roof open it was practically a convertible. The only downside was sticky plastics on the radio, controls, aircon switches (this happens to every car - cosmetic only but farking annoying) and the very dated PCM system with aged navigation, radio and not much in the way of iphone/android support.  Targa roof developed a rattle - was 2K of dicking about to fix it.

Bought a paddleshifty wheel for it for about $2500 that was a fun toy, though the car runs just fine in auto mode.

While I was waiting for the 997TT delivery, the dealers put me in a C2 manual. It was a very low spec option - so no frills, but a nice car to punt around in. The 997 clutch is very light (it's assisted) and a fairly long throw so easy enough to use. In peak hour Sydney traffic, it's as much a pain in the backside as any manual. Again, this isn't about the car - it's about how you will spend your time driving it.

The 997TT has the same issues of crap soft touch buttons and old fashioned PCM, but it is a monster to drive and is a pleasure to be in. The 4WD system is unobtrusive and not nearly as understeery as competitors. For a sunday morning run there's not thing much better - if you love paddling through gears the 6 speed is the go.

On the road - there's no performance difference between manual and auto, if you drive like a clown you will kill manual clutches quickly ... so it's all about how/where you'll be driving.

As other people have said here - be careful buying these on a budget. When I looked - Tips were better maintained and seemed to have been run less hard than manuals... but it's all down to finding the right car.
C'mon, do it!

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
I think the days of $70k 997s are long gone for a good one. Good manual 996s are increasing in price which is pushing 997s up also. I have a friend who bought a manual 997S about 4 years go and the price has not dropped in all that time.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I've only driven PDK and manual in the 997 but not the full slushbox.  The manual gearbox in the 997 was one of the best things about the car but I'm talking recreational driving, not commuting. As the others have said, it depends on how you will use the car.

Offline David B

Thanks gents, all good comments to consider;

This one is sort of the thing I was looking for;
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2005/OAG-AD-12695680/?Cr=4

Again not 70K but around that numberish ;-)

I know I am not going to get a great one at my budget, but once its in the garage its mine and I can do work on it over time.  As mentioned I get one go at this at the end of the year then thats it.... I live in Kinglake west victoria on pine ridge rd.   This may explain to some what the situation is.

Cheers and more comments the merrier!!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Looks like a lot of car for the money, I like those simple wheels too.
C'mon, do it!

Offline hummel

Thanks gents, all good comments to consider;

This one is sort of the thing I was looking for;
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2005/OAG-AD-12695680/?Cr=4

Again not 70K but around that numberish ;-)

I know I am not going to get a great one at my budget, but once its in the garage its mine and I can do work on it over time.  As mentioned I get one go at this at the end of the year then thats it.... I live in Kinglake west victoria on pine ridge rd.  This may explain to some what the situation is.

Cheers and more comments the merrier!!

It all makes sense now!

Interesting to look at the prices... have gone up on all 996/997s - Even base spec auto's!

Offline David B

Thanks hummel,

yeah I wish it was now, prices are as you say definitely going up so I expect to pay a bit more at the end of the year.
Luckily for us all family accounted for as we got out early but 20 people didnt make it on our street.

Maurice Blackburn payed themselves 16 million but we havent got a cent yet, I dont mind the lawers getting payed for their own ongoing costs but paying their partners out first .....thats pretty much bullshit.