Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/porsche-objects-proposed-speed-limit-on.html

A 200-mile long strip of tarmac in Australia’s Northern Territory is one of the few places on earth ungoverned by speed limits, but it won’t stay that way for long.

That’s because the local government plans to impose a 130 km/h speed limit, despite protest from the area’s residents and top-ranked automakers like Porsche. According to the BBC, the newly elected North Territory Chief Minister Michael Gunner said that the decision boils down to saving life, stating:

"Our policy is to remove open limits based on advice from doctors, nurses, surgeons and police who agree open limits should not exist."

Surprisingly, previous government research showed that speed limits in the area have caused deaths to rise, prior to their abolishment in 2014.

Porsche's director of public relations, Paul Ellis, told the BBC and ABC Australia that speed isn’t the main issue when it comes to fatalities, accusing NT of becoming a “nanny state”:

"All I'm saying is let's have a logical discussion about what causes fatalities. To say that speed is the biggest issue, I don't think that is correct. Speed does not kill, bad driving kills. And it's just a shame we've taken a nanny state approach.”

Moreover, he continued saying that such decisions would deter car companies from coming to Australia: “We’ve done a pretty good job of killing off the local car industry, the manufacturing of local cars in Australia, and now it seems the Northern Territory government’s doing its best to deter international car companies from coming to Australia to spend money and invest in the local economy.”

However, Michael Gunner said that car companies will still be able to undergo test drive trials at any speed, as long as they’ll apply for a permit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoSkpYhzTrc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoSkpYhzTrc</a>
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I know i've commented on that footage before.

It's awesome that the car can do 350kmh
its awesome that it's probably the unofficial fastest any car has ever gone on a road here in Aus

but OMG that looks sketchy as #uck and i'd be sphincter clenched to the max in that thing.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
It was floating a bit more than I thought.
That is just a touch faster than I have been in a Porsche and I can't remember the floating in a far inferior aero car.
There was definitely some floating but possible it is the different angle of view that makes it look worse.

But when in the moment it never seems as bad. 

Mark might be able to chip in from a driver point of view.

Offline bbb

I was on that Porsche shoot and some locals said that it was tough when they introduced the lower limits last time as it brings a lot of business for them.

A few months before the 918 Ford was testing the new GT in the outback apparently. I guess lots of manufactures would be testing out there, not just for high speed though but stress testing perhaps?

I wonder if they will bother with permits which probably have a lot of red tape attached in the future or just test elsewhere?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It was floating a bit more than I thought.
That is just a touch faster than I have been in a Porsche and I can't remember the floating in a far inferior aero car.
There was definitely some floating but possible it is the different angle of view that makes it look worse.

But when in the moment it never seems as bad. 

Mark might be able to chip in from a driver point of view.

Not sure I see the floating you are talking about. A car will move around on the steering on that road - it's bumpy and nothing like smooth. The 918 feels very planted at speed as you'd expect with plenty of aero happening. I found the RS hard to keep on the road on that stretch. It was darting all over the place. I've only driven the 918 over 300km/h on the autobahn and it tracks straight as a die on that perfect surface.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
That road in the NT is so dangerous at high speed.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

That answers it.
The road.

I looked at the car moving and thought it was floating. But did not think the road would cause it.

Do you have vid of yours with the steering wheel in view at pace ??

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

That answers it.
The road.

I looked at the car moving and thought it was floating. But did not think the road would cause it.

Do you have vid of yours with the steering wheel in view at pace ??

Not now but I'll get some next week in Germany. :)

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

Not now but I'll get some next week in Germany. :)

Cheers.
That will be an interesting comparison.