Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
Opinions sought.

I am off to Italy, France then Spain. In the past I have relied on Wi Fi in hotels etc. But I am less happy with these arrangements for a wide variety of reasons. So I have been researching my options but have been driven crazy by all the opposing opinions in various forums. You have to watch a lot of this stuff as a lot of "comment" is really people spruiking their own stuff whilst disguised as consumers.

I usually use a Go Sim in my phone just for calls and that works pretty well. But this time I want a separate data package. I would love something that works everywhere but that seems just a dream.

So you have to buy different sims in different countries. But there are all sorts of issues with carriers particularly in France. Some deals you have to be a French Resident to use them. People get too focused on the price, but having 5Gb of data with crap coverage or dial-up speeds is equally important. Coverage is a problem depending where you are in the country. And don't assume that as you are in a major city your card will have reception/network. C'est une grosse erreur.

I have a Netgear 4G Wi Fi Router that I am told I can just plug another carriers micro-sim into. I know this is an unlocked device. But getting a sim that will work and at a reasonable speed at an acceptable cost is the challenge that is beating me to date.

So, that is enough to get things moving here. What can you tell me?

J'ai hâte d'entendre vos paroles de sagesse

:tilt:

Offline dkabab

im in europe at the moment, and yes the wifi in hotels is less than ideal.... but had been adequate....

i too was looking for sims, but gave up, I'm in italy now and will probably get one as I'm here for another 2 weeks and will hire a car in modena so will use the phone as a gps. i might go have a look tomorrow... but i don't know what I'm buying.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

Yeah the unknown is the problem.

It is not what they say it will do, it is what they don't say that gets you.

I believe O2 has a card that covers the lot but you can only buy it in the UK.

Orange in France is a PITA. Is good for Frenchies but all you tourists piss off!

I think you are doing a Factory Tour???? Give me the highlights. I am going late September then to Lambo and Pagani.

:)

Offline mtarone

im in europe at the moment, and yes the wifi in hotels is less than ideal.... but had been adequate....

i too was looking for sims, but gave up, I'm in italy now and will probably get one as I'm here for another 2 weeks and will hire a car in modena so will use the phone as a gps. i might go have a look tomorrow... but i don't know what I'm buying.

Go to a TIM store, they will help you.  Ask for a prepaid sim. Take your passport with you as they'll need it for identification.

EDIT: Use this link to find the nearest store to you: http://www.tim.it/trova-negozio?nt=on&nat=on

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com
Thats odd. I found the wifi in most European hotels very fast - to the point where I could download TV shows in HD without issue.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

My IT guy says Telstra now has pre paid roaming data packs available with the two upper tiers of this cost $160 for 1.2GB data or $350 for 3GB data.  The $160K plan should do me for 2 weeks in Italy and UK in September/October.

I got SIMs for both phone and Ipad in 2012 when I landed at Heathrow but I'd rather keep my own number this time.

Offline mtarone

My IT guy says Telstra now has pre paid roaming data packs available with the two upper tiers of this cost $160 for 1.2GB data or $350 for 3GB data.  The $160K plan should do me for 2 weeks in Italy and UK in September/October.

I got SIMs for both phone and Ipad in 2012 when I landed at Heathrow but I'd rather keep my own number this time.

I think he is referring to a data 'plan' rather than a 'pack'.  Meaning you need to cancel it on your return, whereas a data pack automatically ends 30 days after activation. I'm sure he already knows this but I thought I'd point this out just in case you forget to cancel and keep getting billed.

Offline dkabab

I think you are doing a Factory Tour???? Give me the highlights. I am going late September then to Lambo and Pagani.

doing pagani tour, and lambo/ferrari galleries. i believe theres a new gallery in modena thats just opened up. they offer tickets to both mondena/maranello galleries + a shuttle between them. looks attractive

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I think he is referring to a data 'plan' rather than a 'pack'.  Meaning you need to cancel it on your return, whereas a data pack automatically ends 30 days after activation. I'm sure he already knows this but I thought I'd point this out just in case you forget to cancel and keep getting billed.

Thanks - that makes sense. It is a better solution for me than buying in-country SIMs and having to top them up all the time which was a pain last time.

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS

:)

I'm in UK at the moment. Doing Ferrari factory tour Sep 4th.

Will post my thoughts.

I was going to buy a sim in each country like I did last year (major PITA) but in the end I just activated roaming and kept my Oz number. Now that roaming charges have been reduced it makes more sense as long as you take advantage of wifi whenever you can.