Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
I'm in UK at the moment. Doing Ferrari factory tour Sep 4th.

Will post my thoughts.

I was going to buy a sim in each country like I did last year (major PITA) but in the end I just activated roaming and kept my Oz number. Now that roaming charges have been reduced it makes more sense as long as you take advantage of wifi whenever you can.

What's your phone number? I'll give you  call and we can have a long chat :)

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS
What's your phone number? I'll give you  call and we can have a long chat :)

Lol! Yes what I forgot to mention is you need to tell everyone not to call for no reason or send spurious picture messages etc.

Easy for me as mine is a personal phone (not business) and I don't have any friends anyway. :)

Offline mtarone

Thanks - that makes sense. It is a better solution for me than buying in-country SIMs and having to top them up all the time which was a pain last time.

Just to follow up on this, our Telstra account manager had this to say when I tried to add a plan:

"The $160/1.2GB Data PLAN is a 6 month plan commitment.

We do have a $160/600MB or $350/1.5GB data PACKS available that expire after 30 days."

Anyway, I've gone for a pack.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Just to follow up on this, our Telstra account manager had this to say when I tried to add a plan:

We do have a $160/600MB or $350/1.5GB data PACKS available that expire after 30 days."

even with a 1.5gb pack - be very careful when using GPS software - where possible turn data roaming off if you don't need internet access. I scored a $2600 bill in spite of having a data pack due to excess usage - turns out my GPS software (Tom Tom on iphone) was using data+++ whilst I was driving!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline mtarone

even with a 1.5gb pack - be very careful when using GPS software - where possible turn data roaming off if you don't need internet access. I scored a $2600 bill in spite of having a data pack due to excess usage - turns out my GPS software (Tom Tom on iphone) was using data+++ whilst I was driving!

Ouch! Good point though. Will watch out for it.

Offline Aircon

Were the maps on the phone? Why would tom tom use data?

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Were the maps on the phone? Why would tom tom use data?
maps were on phone but tom tom had extra options such as location of cameras, traffic updates etc which I now know about! I guess it was constantly trying to "update" the database.

Have since removed tom tom -  and only use ipad mini as GPS for driving nowadays when overseas - with a local prepaid sim. Much cheaper and foolproof.

Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline Aircon

maps were on phone but tom tom had extra options such as location of cameras, traffic updates etc which I now know about! I guess it was constantly trying to "update" the database.

Have since removed tom tom -  and only use ipad mini as GPS for driving nowadays when overseas - with a local prepaid sim. Much cheaper and foolproof.

wow! That's a bit scary.

I used sygic....I'll have to check if that does the same thing. I don't believe it does.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

The 30 days starts the minute you buy it, not when you activate it like some plans.
So don't buy it a week before you leave.
You can "top it up" via the web but I have been told that www.telstra.com.au is blocked by most overseas providers.
So arrange for someone back home to have your details in case it has to be done from OZ.
I am going to visit a couple of Telstra shops in the next week and see if I can get a straight explanation that I believe.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
wow! That's a bit scary.

I used sygic....I'll have to check if that does the same thing. I don't believe it does.

To be double certain can you possibly remove the sim?
I have never tried this.
Will the phone and the downloaded map software run without the sim???
Naturally to do downloads etc it needs data but my Garmin Nuvi does not need a sim.
You never consider/understand all the wriggles in this nonsense and just how there are all these buggers with their hands in your wallet like Romanian Gypsies in Rome.

:scared: