Offline dkabab

i have been carrying my phone around with cellular data turned off and i have saved maps using google maps. this gives me my location from the phone towers, and the map is saved so no data is needed.... i have saved the maps when in wifi at the hotel.

only issue is it won't be able to set a course or find anything... even if its saved on the map. its view only.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter

To be double certain can you possibly remove the sim?
I have never tried this.
Will the phone and the downloaded map software run without the sim???
Naturally to do downloads etc it needs data but my Garmin Nuvi does not need a sim.
You never consider/understand all the wriggles in this nonsense and just how there are all these buggers with their hands in your wallet like Romanian Gypsies in Rome.

:scared:

Sygic will definitely run without data. I've used it in flight mode with only GPS on.

I love my car. Buy your own

Online fivesix

i have been carrying my phone around with cellular data turned off and i have saved maps using google maps. this gives me my location from the phone towers, and the map is saved so no data is needed.... i have saved the maps when in wifi at the hotel.

only issue is it won't be able to set a course or find anything... even if its saved on the map. its view only.

Does it super-impose your location over the map?
What phone are you using?

Offline dkabab

Does it super-impose your location over the map?
What phone are you using?

yeah it gives you your location and direction facing. iPhone

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

Well here is a PITA update on the so-called world-wide Telstra Data packs.

I had looked up their data packs on the website and even called the number and spoke to a very helpful person (yes they do exist at TLS). So decided I would visit two separate Telstra shops and get the drill from the floor staff. I like to check that what I am being told is the reality.

I view phone companies as carpetbaggers. $300 for 1Gb of roaming data that expires in 30 days was a rip, but at least I thought I understood what I was buying. Wrong again sunshine!

I was told at the shops  "don't buy these things. They don't work that well and are dear as poison".

That was a good "sales spiel".    :rolleyes:

I asked "If I buy a GB of data in the pack and pay $300 how can that cost me any more”. Well it can’t but it will chew a lot more data by the way it operates (being TLS) than say buying an orange card in France. It will run a lot slower as well and you will then refresh it with extra data packs a couple of times and end up spending over a grand.  :gnasher:

So what I thought was the great save is the great dud.  :thumbsdown:

I wanted to take my mobile WiFi hot spot with me but that is looking a lot less likely now.

Have any of you tethered your phone to your laptop whilst overseas and then put a local phone company sim (phone and data) in the phone. That seems like option 2.

Buying a data sim in Italy then another data sim in France then another in Spain seems to be the only remaining option.

Tell me if I am wrong.  :confused:

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS
Have any of you tethered your phone to your laptop whilst overseas and then put a local phone company sim (phone and data) in the phone. That seems like option 2.

Yes. It works but it still sucks.

Option 3 is to send a text to every single person in your contacts before you leave Oz telling them not to call you to tell you what they had for lunch for the next two weeks and just activate roaming.

If you're careful it's not as expensive as it used to be

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I've used my old iphone for tethering and I've also used a 3G iPad. There's nothing difficult about buying local sims. I go to Greece on an annual basis, I have a local telephone sim and a local data sum and I just top them up each time I go.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
If you are organised buy your prepaid sims from ebay before you depart. That way as soon as you land at your destination you can Facebook or Tweet all your friends with no fear of excess data.

Offline Joel

If you are organised buy your prepaid sims from ebay before you depart. That way as soon as you land at your destination you can Facebook or Tweet all your friends with no fear of excess data.

Or go on a holiday and enjoy it with the people you are with haha

Offline Horse

• Hung like Einstein

Or go on a holiday and enjoy it with the people you are with haha

^^^^^^^This. :)
Why such a long face?