Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS
and its

www.ppsr.gov.au

Sorry if this is a dopey question, but are you saying that in my case where I own my Ferrari outright and it is a personal car there is some benefit in me registering it on the PPSR?

Does it give me extra protection from <something>?

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Sorry if this is a dopey question, but are you saying that in my case where I own my Ferrari outright and it is a personal car there is some benefit in me registering it on the PPSR?

Does it give me extra protection from <something>?

if its stolen its ability to be sold is a lot more difficult, if your car was stolen and over a beer at a pub the thief sold it to another scumbag for cash it probably wouldn't make much difference, but if it was stolen and the thief tried to on sell it through a dealer the dealer would look up a PPSR but would never look up a stolen vehicle register. Once the dealer discovers it has an encumbrance on it he would want it removed prior to sale and car is immediately flagged.

Or worse case scenario you lent your car to a "friend" for say $100.00 for an afternoon drive, if your friend went broke in that same period of time…..the receiver/ manager of your friend could and would take your car an asset of your friend.

Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline Horse

• Hung like Einstein

if its stolen its ability to be sold is a lot more difficult, if your car was stolen and over a beer at a pub the thief sold it to another scumbag for cash it probably wouldn't make much difference, but if it was stolen and the thief tried to on sell it through a dealer the dealer would look up a PPSR but would never look up a stolen vehicle register. Once the dealer discovers it has an encumbrance on it he would want it removed prior to sale and car is immediately flagged.

Or worse case scenario you lent your car to a "friend" for say $100.00 for an afternoon drive, if your friend went broke in that same period of timeÂ…..the receiver/ manager of your friend could and would take your car an asset of your friend.
PPSR certificates have stolen and written off info on them.
Why such a long face?

Online diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
Must be some lawyers on here who can clarify benefits?

Offline 98octane

Must be some lawyers on here who can clarify benefits?

Very few net benefits in my experience. I've never met anyone who likes the PPSA. There wasn't much wrong with the previous law on property rights and priority.

But a lot of what is said in this thread about the PPSR is misleading or plain wrong.  You should read the PPSR fact sheets or get legal advice.

You can only register "security interests" as defined under the Act.  

An ownership interest usually isn't registrable absent other facts which make it a security interest.

Also, I doubt a car thief would have a security interest or the ability to grant a security interest in your car - but haven't looked at this issue in any detail.

Offline 98octane

Judges in Australia need some really big slaps across the head.

Blame Federal Parliament (and Canada and New Zealand) for the impacts of the PPSA, not the judges!

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
PPSR certificates have stolen and written off info on them.

i didnt know that, thanks for the heads up
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline 98octane

PS. Goober, the Coalition has proposed changes in Parliament to the PPSA which should make it much better for short term hire businesses.  They're also reviewing the PPSA more broadly.

Offline aws0001

The PPSR was put in place to consolidate the many laws and databases held by each of the states & territories into one central system & set of legislation.  Theoretically, this should make it easier for businesses to trade interstate without being confused by different property laws etc.  It should also be easier for consumers to perform checks on vehicles regardless of the registered location of the vehicle.

You can do a PPSR check on the govt. website, or you can pay a premium for a website that does the same thing quicker.  I have a website called www.getppsr.com.au which makes the whole process much easier.  I was sick of going through the govt. website - so slow & clunky.

You might also be interested to know you can get a fair bit of information for free now, depending on the registered location of the vehicle.  For example, in Tasmania, you can get the Engine No., Make/Model, Colour, Build Year, Rego Expiry, Stolen Status, Write-off Status, all from the rego no.!  The reason for this is probably because the PPSR register still does not have any Stolen records for Tasmanian vehicles.  You can find out more info on my website at www.getppsr.com.au/faq.html.

Hope this was some help.