Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
I'm interested in the opinions on the use and success of radar detectors. Do you have thoughts and experiences to share?

I've considered purchasing one but have never been sure on the laws and regulations surrounding their use and gather these vary from state to state. They appear to be easily purchased and aren't the items you would once have had to source from the US.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something Different
Wonderful inventions and a pleasure to use if you're driving in Euroland or the US, but I'd be a tad careful mentioning these in Ozland.

They're on the really naughty list.

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

Valentine 1. :thumbsup:
Has saved me many times both in the UK and all over Europe...

Can only buy them from the US though I think...

Offline calais

They're on the really naughty list.

Yes, this was my understanding but it's not based on anything more than stories. What are the regulations?

They appear to be freely purchased from Australian based distributors. Are they just items that can be legally purchased and owned but never used?

Offline dkabab

i THINK they are legal in WA, or they just "arent illegal"

Offline calais

i THINK they are legal in WA, or they just "arent illegal"

Yes, some details I've found below

The most common question we receive is:  "What radar detector is best for use in my state?"  The answer to that question is very easy and our recommendations are below:

All States EXCEPT Western Australia:
Radar detectors are illegal to use in all states other than WA.  If you are in the eastern states of Australia it is likely that the police in your state are using radar detector detectors (RDD's).  The most common RDD used in Australia is the Spectre III (also known as the Stalcar) and is widely known as the best RDD available to the police.  The Bel STi range are the only radar detectors that are undetectable by the Spectre III RDD to date.

Western Australia:
Radar detectors are LEGAL to use in Western Australia so you generally have more options when it comes to making a purchase.  If you are outside an area where multanova cameras are used then even a basic radar detector will give you time against highway patrol radar traps.

http://www.radardetectors.com.au/radarstate.html

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

In Vic it's a $260 fine(may well be more now) and they confiscate the device. Don't ask how I know.  :irked:

Offline dkabab

Offline M308

• Degranged

I can remember a couple of years ago talking to ****** (I will PM you) & he was saying that he had access to buy some sort of detector for me that scrambles the cops detectors but still picks theirs up. It gives you about 5 seconds to turn yours off. I did have a brochure on it he gave me but dont know where it is, so I suggest you give him a call & have a chat :thumbsup:

Offline Iggy_Type_R

I can remember a couple of years ago talking to George from GT Autosound (in Glynde) & he was saying that he had access to buy some sort of detector for me that scrambles the cops detectors but still picks theirs up. It gives you about 5 seconds to turn yours off. I did have a brochure on it he gave me but dont know where it is, so I suggest you give him a call & have a chat :thumbsup:

There's a guy in Melbourne that is the best at this kinda thing. I won't reveal more detail on here but if you want to know more PM/call me :)