Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1537

Quote from: jimshoes
... After passing a NSW police car I was stopped and asked if I was using a radar detector ...

... I didn't get an on the spot fine, but the police officer said it will be mailed to me. ...

... it attracts a $1175 fine and 9 demerit points in NSW ...

... In Victoria it does not attract any demerit points, just a court appearance ...

... I'm a Victorian Licence holder, so I'm wondering if the 9 NSW demerit points will be transfered to my Victorian licence even though there is no demerit points handed out in Vic for this offence?

Quote from: Hardy
You can not get demerit points in Victoria for possessing a radar detector.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

TBH, I'd never heard of GPS jammers before. Do people use them on toll roads in Australia?

Offline a.taylor

Wouldn't be any use on an Australian toll road, GPS has nothing to do with the system. You could probably block the tag reading signal but what's the point? they'll grab your plates in any case.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I have lots of first hand experience with gps jammers.

Taxi drivers use them to make it appear as though they are either in an area where they turned it on, or off the grid alltogether

Couriers use them to get pickups they may not be closest to, claiming the gps system in their truck has never worked

Long haul drivers use them to defeat speed and fatigue monitoring systems.

I have to deal with these, they get plugged into cig adapters, and can be imported from sites such as dealextreme

Until a couple of years ago people were tampering with cables or sticking aluminium foil on antennas, but companies are now better at hiding things.

They are illegal but I don't know what the punishment is, probably under the same law as transmitting on a reserved frequency for tv, radio etc

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I have lots of first hand experience with gps jammers.

Taxi drivers use them to make it appear as though they are either in an area where they turned it on, or off the grid alltogether

Couriers use them to get pickups they may not be closest to, claiming the gps system in their truck has never worked

Long haul drivers use them to defeat speed and fatigue monitoring systems.

I have to deal with these, they get plugged into cig adapters, and can be imported from sites such as dealextreme

Until a couple of years ago people were tampering with cables or sticking aluminium foil on antennas, but companies are now better at hiding things.

They are illegal but I don't know what the punishment is, probably under the same law as transmitting on a reserved frequency for tv, radio etc

$165k for companies and up to 5 years imprisonment I remember reading somewhere a while ago.

The people that use them should be shot, GPS blockers don't just selectively block a single GPS signal, they block a wide range of signals sometimes up to a 200m radius, it disrupts aeroplanes and air traffic control around airports, disrupts ambos and fire brigade GPS, when someone drives past with one it can disrupt your phone signal without you knowing and it only recieves signal again after the phone is reset...   It's fucking annoying when that happens and you've been waiting for a call all day...
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I should clarify, my experience is in designing systems that rely on gps and being frustrated at drivers attempts to break it.
Until recently dummy boxes and antennas worked well but these $20 jammers are a different story.
Phone signal jammers are also cheap and easy to find, I know someone in the USA who takes great pleasure in getting on a crowded train and activating his.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

$165k for companies and up to 5 years imprisonment I remember reading somewhere a while ago.

The people that use them should be shot, GPS blockers don't just selectively block a single GPS signal, they block a wide range of signals sometimes up to a 200m radius, it disrupts aeroplanes and air traffic control around airports, disrupts ambos and fire brigade GPS, when someone drives past with one it can disrupt your phone signal without you knowing and it only recieves signal again after the phone is reset...   It's fucking annoying when that happens and you've been waiting for a call all day...

So when I'm trying to call someone and all I can hear is what sounds like a scrambled signal  -  could that be a GPS blocker?

Seems to only occur when I'm near the occasional prime mover.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
^^^^ depends, if you are on Vodafone network, then chances are it's vodafones crap service lol
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!