Offline sinkman

Fellow Car Nuts,

As some of you will know I have been going through the long and expensive process of restoring an old car. It is in the paint booth now and I am seeking any recommendations to assist with my restoring the metal trim pieces, e.g. window frames, kick boards etc. They are all anodised and in Melbourne craftsmen skilled in this area are few and far between.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Regards
Phil

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Fellow Car Nuts,

As some of you will know I have been going through the long and expensive process of restoring an old car. It is in the paint booth now and I am seeking any recommendations to assist with my restoring the metal trim pieces, e.g. window frames, kick boards etc. They are all anodised and in Melbourne craftsmen skilled in this area are few and far between.

Regards
Phil

Hi Phil,

when you say Anodised, what do you mean. Are they Chrome or something else??? Are we talking plastic or diecast or ????

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

And why isn't there a thread on your resto project?????

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Ahem... and why isn't there a thread on MY resto project Mondiman?   :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline sinkman

Happy to start up a thread...

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

It's a long way to go, but try A-Class Metal Finishers here in SA at Lonsdale. They do very good quality work, people have told me it isn't cheap, but I've not had to have anything plated re-worked that I've had done.

They don't do anodising in house, but do all the preparation and send it out to be completed to their standards. The stuff I've had done has lasted well.

They are very helpful and will answer all questions by phone or email, and perhaps may be able to advise who could do the work closer to you.

http://www.aclassmetal.com.au/contact-us.php

See this about their anodising procedure:

http://www.aclassmetal.com.au/anodising.php

Offline sinkman

It's a long way to go, but try A-Class Metal Finishers here in SA at Lonsdale. They do very good quality work, people have told me it isn't cheap, but I've not had to have anything plated re-worked that I've had done.

They don't do anodising in house, but do all the preparation and send it out to be completed to their standards. The stuff I've had done has lasted well.

They are very helpful and will answer all questions by phone or email, and perhaps may be able to advise who could do the work closer to you.

http://www.aclassmetal.com.au/contact-us.php

See this about their anodising procedure:

http://www.aclassmetal.com.au/anodising.php

Many thanks for the information. Appreciated.
Phil

Offline sinkman

Hi Phil,

when you say Anodised, what do you mean. Are they Chrome or something else??? Are we talking plastic or diecast or ????

Hi Mondi,

It is anodised aluminium that strengthens the surface, maintains a permanent shine and is more resistant to scratching than polished aluminium. Most old Porches and Ferraris from the 60s and 70s had this coating on their window and kick board brightwork.

It is definitely not chroming.

Many thanks
Phil
(I will start the restoration thread later today but it will be a lesson in buyer incompetence. :-))

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
(I will start the restoration thread alter today but it will be a lesson in buyer incompetence. :-))

I'm a member of that club too.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Fellow Car Nuts,

Regards
Phil

FF may be able to give you a contact.  I restored my 308 and all the window trims got re anodised.  They did a brilliant job.  I'll check with my Toolmaker because he also anodised a number of components for a machine I designed recently. (He's in the Dandenong South area)