Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

I must be slow. What's the GST and LCT got to do with depreciatio?
With such an often over inflated new price due to the above,why would there not be heavy depreciation?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

With such an often over inflated new price due to the above,why would there not be heavy depreciation?

If there was no tax and the price was the same but all going to the retailer, the depreciation would be the same, surely?
The used car buyer doesn't ask how much do the new car price was tax. He just wants to know how much he's saving off the new car price.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
If there was no tax and the price was the same but all going to the retailer, the depreciation would be the same, surely?
The used car buyer doesn't ask how much do the new car price was tax. He just wants to know how much he's saving off the new car price.

Trying logic? Good luck!
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

in todays high volume and prices and new models and the other car makers...yes.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
if you remember pre LCT cars like Porsche 911s,Rolls Royce Silver Spirits and high end Benzs,there depreciation level over the 1st ..3 years was low.
ferrari cars?   i think the same?

That's because the new model was always 20% more. The change over has always stayed the same.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline theonlydjorkaeff

You know what is scary? This goes from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and the a45 amg does it in 4.6...

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

That's because the new model was always 20% more. The change over has always stayed the same.
hows that work,RR,Porsche and Benz in those years would run the same model for years,in fact RR decade and more.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

Well it's all a game of semantics.

It depends on what you call depreciation.
Depreciation and "the tear-up" are the same thing but different.

You can argue that you should take the price of the car, remove the GST, remove the LCT and that is your cars price.
And that gets "depreciated".

Me I just think about the money.

How much was it worth 3 years ago to BUY?

How much will I get back today if I SELL?

The difference is money lost - call it what you furking well like it is money gone. Tax deductible....whoopee! who cares, it is still a slab of dollars LOST.

Today it is a different game. Cars don't go up in price like they did a while back.
You could own a Porsche for 5 years and get your money back when you sold it. Too bad the new model was then $30 grand more.

You buy a Porsche for $250,000. Three years later it is worth $150,00 and the new (latest) model is now $225,000.

But a big fall in the AUD could bring all that back.

I had a look at a Ferrari a few months ago and the guy selling was ripping up $80k in 12 months ownership.

I tend to adopt that attitude that all the purchase price is torn up the minute you hand over the dosh, and when you do eventually sell the car it is money for free.

Tends to keep me sane and well adjusted!!!!

:der:

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I'm not a Mercedes fan at all but that does look very sexy.

Offline theintelligent1

• Vodka is Just Unfinished Gin

• Drives: Miss Daisy
You know what is scary? This goes from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and the a45 amg does it in 4.6...

:D are you using the standard sl65 'officially' listed time......standard 65s are definitely quicker than that so assume the black would be roughly the same.......good luck getting a decent launch

and then lets compare them from 50-XX then see how close it is.........know a number of people who have run the sl65 quarter in mid-high 11s stock......the a45 is not close