Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

Guys just a bit of market research.

In the USA there is quite a business in proper secure storage facilities for fancy cars. This could be Vintage, Exotic, Classic, Muscle....whatever. So it is just like a Kennards in the way it operates, (in many ways) but only takes cars. No shit boxes, no restoration projects, no pure race cars. Just privately owned cars.

In the US it may be in a big building but divided into areas and your access card only lets you into where your car is. There may be 10 cars in that area. For more money you can have your own individual secure garage that opens onto a secure area. All this undercover and in some cases totally inside.  There is an area for washing them and minor work, but no major stuff done. Pretty heavy security systems with lots of cameras and alarms. Access from 6.00am to 11pm 7 days a week...all automatic. Owners could also have detailers come in during the day to clean and polish etc.

The difference between the USA and Australia is that Aussie's in general have more ability to keep cars at home, due to more of us living in houses and having the scope for big sheds etc. But I wonder if this idea would fly here in any of the major cities.

This would have to be in an industrial shed. It would cost lots of dollars to fit and run so I am not sure if the figures would add up in the end. Does anyone know of something like this operating in your city?

Comments and rants welcome.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I know of one high profile guy in Melbourne that just rents a small factory for his toys.
Insurance would be a problem, giving access to cars also as they would have access to all cars unless they were all locked off from one another.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
There is one in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney. Couldn't fill up all the sheds with cars only so it evolved into a self storage place, then they expanded a new section catering to general self storage. Apparently more overheads for car storage (insurance, utilities, liability) and more wasted space.

They then expanded into a few other places around Sydney all of which are self storage. If there was a market for it i'm sure they would have stuck with the car/truck/camper van storage business which they first started with.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Theres several.

Autostorage solutions, port melbourne.

Chequered flag, mordialloc.

And a few that keep a low profile and known only to certain people :cool:

Offline jomihan

Hi All,
Need a storage faciilty for your most prized vehicle or boat?  I have some warehouse space available that is perfect.  The warehouse is empty, and not used for any other purpose other than storage.  There is very little coming and goings, only when you pick up your vehicle,  and I am only offering it for prestige vehicle and boat storage. 
There is CCTV and security monitoring also. 
At present there are 2 Malibu Boats in there for the winter, and there is about another 6 spots available.  It is measured out and your own space, that is kept quiet and secure for your most prized possession.
Very reasonable rates and it is Secure, Safe and Convenient in Melbourne's East.

Give me a call if interested - Jo -0416 242 661. 

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

The big problem as I see it, is the utilisation of space.

A good commercial/industrial building in any Australian capital city is expensive. You can passively rent it out to someone and get 8 or 9% pa net. You collect the rent and lay on the beach. So if you are going to do this, it has to give you the 8 or 9% plus a return on the business you are running.

I don't see this as been viable if out in the boonies somewhere. It has to be in a reasonably central location.

Storing cars chews up a lot of space. Then allow for driveways and service areas etc and you have a lot of dead space. The cost of the floor space where the car sits is only a minor part of the total cost of storing any one car.

Offline Simonoz

• Drives: Old 911's and V8's
Ive got a 24/7 very secure car storage facility in Perth if anyone is looking for something close to the Airport. Individual units, with your own key. Came about as a result of my own interest in storing my own cars and bikes. Im about to build another in a different location that will be more like Fort Knox, or the Batcave. Dont know if there is a market there but am pretty sure there is if its done properly. Again if I wasnt interested for my own reasons, i dont think it would be attractive, but its become a fun project in its own right, and its always fun looking at what others have done in other cities (and tax deductible).

simonoz

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Ive got a 24/7 very secure car storage facility in Perth if anyone is looking for something close to the Airport. Individual units, with your own key. Came about as a result of my own interest in storing my own cars and bikes. Im about to build another in a different location that will be more like Fort Knox, or the Batcave. Dont know if there is a market there but am pretty sure there is if its done properly. Again if I wasnt interested for my own reasons, i dont think it would be attractive, but its become a fun project in its own right, and its always fun looking at what others have done in other cities (and tax deductible).

simonoz

Sounds good.  I'm not sure what you mean about tax deductible though.

Offline SamHanrahan

Hi,

Just want to advertise our company here.

Please visit our website @ www.moorroom.com.au

Thanks!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession