Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
We added a guided tour of the Somme battlefields to a Euro extended family trip a few years ago. For me, it was the highlight of the trip. Particularly if you have a family connection to WW1, it'll blow you away.

Go with these guys - outstanding.

https://www.militaryhistorytours.com.au/site/ANZAC_Centenary.php

Thanks for that, I will look into it. I ended up with some WW1 medals that were handed down through the family. My mother is the only one left and she had no idea about them. With a bit of research I discovered it was a distant relative who died at Passchendaele. The amount of information archived on line now is astounding. Right down to the commanders hand written daily combat reports.
From that I found the field he was killed in with pictures from then and now. Amazing that every bit of information the army had on him is right there on line. Enlistment papers, medical reports and letters from family for many years after he was listed MIA. His poor mother didn't find out he was dead for several years and today I found the whole story in about 4hrs of internet searches.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Take your medals to V-B on Anzac Day and march with them. The Somme is an intense experience.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Take your medals to V-B on Anzac Day and march with them. The Somme is an intense experience.

I would feel pretty weird about that. Fine if it was a relative that you had actually met, even if it was when you were a small child. In this case the poor guy made the ultimate sacrifice at the age of 22 and 100 years later nobody in the family knew anything about him, nor cared enough to find out until I found the medals in my mothers stuff and did the research.

As a very young kid I remember being taken to visit elderly relatives. They all had faded photos of long dead young men in WW1 Uniform on the walls. It is hard to understand the level of sacrifice, it seemed to touch everyone.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Either way, get there. It'll blow your mind. The cream of a generation...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline dkabab

Stunning scenery. Much snow on the roads?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

We haven't looked yet. We might be trapped here. ;)

Offline dkabab

We haven't looked yet. We might be trapped here. ;)

she'll be right... just put the demister on...   :eek:

Offline Joel

Wonder how many 918 have been left in the snow like that.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes