Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
I remember watching the first ever TG show in the UK and remembering how refreshing it was compared to any other car show that was currently on the air at that time.

Here are my TG Top Tips - constructive criticism of course.

Tonight's show was too loud and in your face.  Too much crammed in.  The circuit looked slow, cramped and very unspectacular.  They should have walked us thru the circuit first explaining the corners and other technical aspects.  Camera work in the field is substandard compared to the UK.

They just need to slow down and just bond & bicker.

Hopefully all this will improve with time.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The circuit looked slow, cramped and very unspectacular.  They should have walked us thru the circuit first explaining the corners and other technical aspects.  Camera work in the field is substandard compared to the UK.

Very good point, the circuit did look slow and was rather confusing.

A walk thru would have been great, and it seemed that they were very worried about getting cars on the board and rushed thru them - did not thing much of that.

Offline cel

stupid dvd recorder didn't work so I have an hour worth of crap recorded.  :doh:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Thank God that lot have gone :eek:  Sadly my guests have left. :(

I had a few of the lads over tonight and we agree with most of the comments here.  No-one was too excited - we were all a bit disappointed actually.  I prefer the original - a copy is never as good.  And surely there is no excuse for putting soft roaders in your first piece. 

Steve was good - the others were forgettable.   Charlie can't lead the show - he's clearly not into cars enough.  That's the problem with the big dopey one too - whatever he's called.  And why stick so closely to the TG formula - it's embarrassing.

I predict it won't go beyond the pilot/first series.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I remember watching the first ever TG show in the UK and remembering how refreshing it was compared to any other car show that was currently on the air at that time.

Here are my TG Top Tips - constructive criticism of course.

Tonight's show was too loud and in your face.  Too much crammed in.  The circuit looked slow, cramped and very unspectacular.  They should have walked us thru the circuit first explaining the corners and other technical aspects.  Camera work in the field is substandard compared to the UK.

They just need to slow down and just bond & bicker.

That's pretty much the theme of our night at mhh's - except with lots of red wine and multiple pizza deliveries :p

Offline 265T

Thank God that lot have gone :eek:  Sadly my guests have left. :(

haha

what a huge disappointment the show was, the softroaders was hardly exicting piece to hook the new audience & i learnt absolutely nothing about the cars, would have been better leaving them for a later episode & showing the Holden vs Ford's

and wtf was with the shark  :doh:

thanks again to mhh for his hospitality  :)

Offline M500

I predict it won't go beyond the pilot/first series.

Ditto :doh:

Shame we cant come up with any better talent than this lot.

Offline SPEEDCORE

• Forum Virus
  • Product Not Yet Rated

That was the biggest problem. They watched 10seasons of TopGear and crammed it into 1 episode. Watch an early episode of Current TG and it's no way as polished as it is today. The producers of TG Oz just had too much to work from and they weren't able to excel at anything. 

Still compared to every other car show ever made in Oz it passed with flying colours.

Afew tweaks and a change in presenters can make it work. None of the presenters have had any air time. Clarkson, May, did the old TopGear for years and Hammond been around on TV for awhile as well.

I don't know why people are complaining it clones the original show. If it didn't copy it, why would they goto the effort of spending more money getting the licensing etc to called it TopGear. They had to copy it but they copied too much and crammed too much into 1 episode.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I reckon the little dude has some potential - but replace the other two.

A lot of the dialogue felt unnatural and overpaced - kinda like that gilmore girls show or whatever, the lads need to find their own cadence together.

The clip with the short-buses in the dunes and snow was mostly a waste of time - they should have done a meatier challenge with them or preferably not bothered.  The shark thing was also pointless and almost completely not funny - the blood/berley was good. :D

I found myself annoyed that they clearly had plenty of good cars there but we saw absolutely nothing useful with them! :irked:

Offline j15

I think the show has merit if you think about the different landscapes and locations Australia has to offer, you only need a little imagination to come up with some great ideas for races, challenges, and journeys across australia.

Sadly though i think this first episode lacked imagination and they tried too hard to copy the original format, and do too much with the one hour. The presenters weren't anything special either except for steve, and they didn't look comfortable or at ease when presenting. This was especially evident with the celebrity interview i thought, because generally that should be a laugh, but it was totally boring.

That being said, i think you should give them a chance to settle into the role, because its not easy to live up to that expectation and be immediately brilliant without much television experience. hopefully the producers will slow the pace of the show down a bit so pieces can have a little more substance rather than racing through segment to segment.

Finally, i can't believe they had a gtr on the show, but only gave it 10 seconds of air time when it totally outgunned everything else by over 2 seconds on its hotlap. You'd think a car of that significance would get its own piece, so i hope they do one later