Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
That is one thing that concerns me with these(not really concerns but you know what I mean). 
It has been engineered very well, but it is a kitcar still at the end of the day. EG Interior not being really nice.

The new version sounds really good, but as you say will need some time to build, which I am sort of guessing would have to be farmed out???

Has the GT40 crossed your mind at all???   :D

It may not be everyone cup of tea, but the Roaring Forties jobs look fantastic and look to be engineered very well too, with improvements going on from time to time.
Just a suggestion.

I've looked at a few of the GT40's and they are certainly nice - however there are a few GT40's around ... a bit like the  bucketload of Cobras (have owned two cobras so far and loved both briefly).  However after having done that, I like the idea of having a 'kit' of something unique and purpose designed - as opposed to a kit which is a copy/replica of something else. Not knocking your idea at all as it's personal preference though, as I can appreciate a GT40 replica, but pffffft at Lambo replicas.

This year we're going to swap a few cars around so customers have 3 great cars for trackdays - the ferrari's just won't stand up to regular track days without expensive things breaking. I'm sure things may break on an ultima, however they'll be much cheaper to fix. The Viper's been great, so car number two is down to either the ultima, the pantera or quite possibly one of the modified exiges on the market.  Has to be quick, reasonably reliable, safe and fun - and we need to be able to drive it to the track.

As an aside on building from scratch - both Cobra's I've bought cost the owners more, took longer, and 'burnt out the love' of the guys building them - so if I'd prefer to buy a completed/shaken down version of an ultima spyder, gtr or other 'kit' if possible - then do the work to get it perfect.

Just comes down to price as usual, and all my pontificating might mean someone else will offer more for the car and they'll get it.   :confused:

C'mon, do it!

Offline dkabab

I've looked at a few of the GT40's and they are certainly nice - however there are a few GT40's around ... a bit like the  bucketload of Cobras (have owned two cobras so far and loved both briefly).  However after having done that, I like the idea of having a 'kit' of something unique and purpose designed - as opposed to a kit which is a copy/replica of something else. Not knocking your idea at all as it's personal preference though, as I can appreciate a GT40 replica, but pffffft at Lambo replicas.

This year we're going to swap a few cars around so customers have 3 great cars for trackdays - the ferrari's just won't stand up to regular track days without expensive things breaking. I'm sure things may break on an ultima, however they'll be much cheaper to fix. The Viper's been great, so car number two is down to either the ultima, the pantera or quite possibly one of the modified exiges on the market.  Has to be quick, reasonably reliable, safe and fun - and we need to be able to drive it to the track.

As an aside on building from scratch - both Cobra's I've bought cost the owners more, took longer, and 'burnt out the love' of the guys building them - so if I'd prefer to buy a completed/shaken down version of an ultima spyder, gtr or other 'kit' if possible - then do the work to get it perfect.

Just comes down to price as usual, and all my pontificating might mean someone else will offer more for the car and they'll get it.   :confused:

do the tracked cars have to be street registered? if not you could get something like this https://aussieexotics.com/forum/race-cars-for-sale/saker-svs-gt-for-sale-t3439.0.html

Offline allanuber

Yep, gotta be street registered. Otherwise a skelta would be the go.

Far too much hassle getting the cars to and from the track on various trucks, trailers and other pain-in-the-buttocks haulers.

Resale isn't a huge issue now, but if we ever needed to move the cars again having them street registered as well vastly improves the potential market.
C'mon, do it!

Offline dkabab

Offline allanuber

so what have you already got... i'll see what i can find thats different to what u have

Very kind thanks  :)

Currently ... Ferrari 360, 355 and 456, Porker 993 C4 and Carerra, Viper GTS.

Shortlist ... Ultima, Pantera (RHD), Exige S (or with hooonda engine).

We're also going to adopt a Westfield from a customer shortly who's not getting enough use from it, so we're good on the box on wheels front.    :D
C'mon, do it!

Offline allanuber

thanks legends ...

Hot renault clio is still a 6 second 0-100 ... and regrettably still looks like a renault.

TVR ... sweet jebus that is great looking. Regrettably couldn't make Travolta credible in swordfish. I remember someone on here had owned one though and he'd suggested it was less reliable than even the fezzas.

Ex race Loti's... lots of chatter about them being road registerable, but yet to see it, and the additional cost of putting a seat back in and other changes will bring them back into 'normal' lotus territory ... so on this front still a supercharged exige.

C'mon, do it!

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
The more I think about it, the more I think we must be too spoilt.  We really should have been more impressed by that thing.

The specs are there, as is the presence.  What's wrong with us?  :scratchchin:

Maybe gotta spend a bit of time with the Westfield to appreciate the big cubic inches.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The more I think about it, the more I think we must be too spoilt.  We really should have been more impressed by that thing.

The specs are there, as is the presence.  What's wrong with us?  :scratchchin:

Maybe gotta spend a bit of time with the Westfield to appreciate the big cubic inches.

LOL, I think you may be right. It does sound like a pretty good little package.
Looking at what you have in front of you atm:

The Pantera is a pretty good package. The old 351Clevo is a bit of a truck engine but it can be played with quite a bit to extracted some more HP. And cheap to repair if needed.
Body wise, if you bend it panels are not easy to come by any more so there would be a fair expense to fix body work. But at the end of the day, I reckon you would get back what you put into it plus some.

The Exige, I really can't comment too much as I don't know a lot about them. But I would guess that being a Honda engine, if things go south it would not be the end of the world(not like the Ferrari).
If you bend one, well from what I have researched replacement panels and body bits are not cheap, I think Andecorp or S4simon said once that this stuff can be on par with Ferrari parts!!!!  :eek:
Not sure how these would go down the track for resale???

And the Ultima, engine wise would not be a problem really. Maybe some of the other mechanicals may be a little costly if something breaks but over all it seems it would not break the bank. The engine, a bit like the Pantera has lots of room to move if you want to up the HP. A small supercharger on those engines can make a big difference.
And body wise, not sure of the replacement costs but I can't see it being over the top. If it gets bent, just replace the panels or if not too badly damaged - few cans of fiber glass repair and jobs done!!   :p
Again, not sure on the resale, but can't see the arse dropping out of them.

And then there is always a GT40 -  Oh, I tried that one didn't I!!   :D

Offline allanuber

Super points thanks Mondi, and they match some of what I'm thinking. If we really belt into anything too big the costs are going to be scary regardless, so I'll discount that from the considerations for now.

At an airport lounge and a fellow traveller looking over my shoulder has suggested:

http://www.elfin.com.au/elfin/2008/type5/

... around $65K + onroads... and you get a warranty   :thumbsup:

[Ultima does look wilder though...]
C'mon, do it!