Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Been watching this company for a while and part of me says its got enormous upside and other parts say that the global car manufacturers will catch up very fast. Whats the general opinion?

BTW: one little known fact that I think will have far more upside than their car business is there battery pack (for home use) business which allows one to store energy from you solar system at home. With the Tesla battery pack and sufficient solar one can just about go "off grid".

This is the bit that really excites me!!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

My 2 cents is that it's all about whether Tesla can keep up the spirit of innovation ... and find a way to introduce some of their proven features to a mainstream automotive partner that's too big to really take risks. This gets them significant additional cashflow, while keeping the bleeding edge stuff for their own models and first adopter market.

Tesla's brand value seems incredible. Cars catch on fire and loyal customers are still lining up with an attitude of 'hey, these guys are game changers, there's going to be the odd glitch'.
C'mon, do it!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm in little doubt this stock is a winner, but I'm guessing the upside is already factored into today's price.

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
Revenue is $1.7b, and they lose $147m per year (net income) yet the market capitalisation is $18 billion. Unless they can earn $1 billion per year then it's over priced.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

I'm in little doubt this stock is a winner, but I'm guessing the upside is already factored into today's price.

That's the real question. They have just agreed with Panasonic to treble the battery supplies and are also thinking about their own manufacture. Seems like they are gearing up for major output. With the home battery units http://mashable.com/2013/12/26/energy-revolution/ they are not just a car company.

Some argue they are a tech stock (and a growth one at that) and growth tech stocks PE's run at 30+ so seems like plenty upside. Also agree with the "spirit of innovation" point as this is what will maintain the growth stock argument.

Offline mtarone

My 2 cents is that it's all about whether Tesla can keep up the spirit of innovation ... and find a way to introduce some of their proven features to a mainstream automotive partner that's too big to really take risks. This gets them significant additional cashflow, while keeping the bleeding edge stuff for their own models and first adopter market.

Tesla's brand value seems incredible. Cars catch on fire and loyal customers are still lining up with an attitude of 'hey, these guys are game changers, there's going to be the odd glitch'.

Daimler took a stake in Tesla a while ago and we will see Tesla tech in the 2014 b-class mercs.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1031650_daimler-acquires-10-stake-in-tesla-to-spur-electric-car-development

The Model S has Mercedes switchgear in it.

Thought I'd also add that an excerpt from their latest blog/propaganda update:

"It is worth noting that a Tesla vehicle is over five times less likely to experience a fire than the average gasoline car and that there have been zero serious injuries or deaths for any reason ever, fire or otherwise, in a Model S. Over the course of more than 100 million miles driven in almost every possible terrain, weather and crash conditions, the Tesla Model S has consistently protected its driver and passengers, achieving the best safety track record of any car on the road".

Shack, get on the bandwagon and put down a deposit on a model s :)

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Shack, get on the bandwagon and put down a deposit on a model s :)

Need to burn a few more hydrocarbons first :) . Interesting that apparently in ACT one does not have to pay stamp duty on it and LCT is at a higher level i.e. $75k :)

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Need to burn a few more hydrocarbons first :) . Interesting that apparently in ACT one does not have to pay stamp duty on it and LCT is at a higher level i.e. $75k :)

No rego fees in Vic for electric vehicles. Only TAC
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Paulstar

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

I'm not familiar with the specific nature of the patents released but..

1. release patents
2. other manufacturers use patents
3. battery sales to other manufacturers becomes the main business

..sound like it'd be good long term, IF the other manufacturers use the patents. But do they want to?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

I'm not familiar with the specific nature of the patents released but..

1. release patents
2. other manufacturers use patents
3. battery sales to other manufacturers becomes the main business

..sound like it'd be good long term, IF the other manufacturers use the patents. But do they want to?

I've just finished watching this month's shareholders meeting - fascinating btw - and Musk says no manufacturer has even asked about whether they could use the supercharger network, even though he's said they are welcome to. Tesla has such a head start, and the mainstream manufacturers have so much investment in old technology, that the offer of open patents probably won't be taken up.

I'm trying for a Sydney test drive. I suspect it's not a driver's car but the concept is still irresistible to me.