Offline dkabab

how does an open patent work... is it essentially saying anyone can use it but they pay a licensing fee?

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

how does an open patent work... is it essentially saying anyone can use it but they pay a licensing fee?
Yes!  If you don't pay the license fee, then you are in breach of the Patent which can result in heavy fines.  That of course can take years in court.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Because Tesla is not a car company, its a technology company. And with tech you really don't get to try it first. In addition the real money is in the battery technology and either licensing that or opening more markets (battery packs for homes etc.). BTW: they have also decided to make their patents open to all who want to use them. A real "open source" model. @#$%^&*( brilliant, democratisation of technology !!!

Need to think differently when thinking about Tesla. Other car companies are petrified of them :)

Yes I read about the open patents, which is really just Capitalism at work as they want as many companies to take up the technology as possible so they can sell them batteries from the new production facility. Not one company has taken them up as of a few weeks back.
I am watching Tesla stock with great interest.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=TSLA

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline Paulstar

I thought the shareholder prezzo was more product focused (the car, the different models, the customer) rather than tech focused which surprised me. As mentioned earlier in this thread and elsewhere online - the other big manufacturers have invested so much in their own hybrid tech it's unlikely they will go in on Tesla tech at this point.

I'd like to see/can imagine a world where small boutique manufacturers build and sell TESLA tech powered vehicles which are either hyper-localised to their market / heavily targeted to niche buyers. Being that TESLA have put the money into the grid, sells the batteries and has open sourced the tech surely the door is wide open..

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
I'm hoping for a demo in Sydney tomorrow.

Awesome! Can't wait to read your views.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Hey Mark, if they don't give you a test drive and a good deal, tell them to get stuffed and just buy this.

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/13811-fs-suzuki-based-3-wheel-electric-motorcycle-project-300

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

I thought the shareholder prezzo was more product focused (the car, the different models, the customer) rather than tech focused which surprised me. As mentioned earlier in this thread and elsewhere online - the other big manufacturers have invested so much in their own hybrid tech it's unlikely they will go in on Tesla tech at this point.

I'd like to see/can imagine a world where small boutique manufacturers build and sell TESLA tech powered vehicles which are either hyper-localised to their market / heavily targeted to niche buyers. Being that TESLA have put the money into the grid, sells the batteries and has open sourced the tech surely the door is wide open..

spot on ... like Android OS :)

add 3D printing and pretty much anyone can build a car ...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Awesome! Can't wait to read your views.

The sales manager suggested it as a short notice opportunity but since hasn't replied so it's not happening tomorrow. The service is frankly hopeless which is good news because other punters will pull out, moving me up the list.