Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

offsite storage is about $400 per month per car so at $10k per annum f(or two cars stored elsewhere) it might begin to make sense if u plan to live in your house a while. Just wondering if anyone has done this before

I'm planning something similar

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

It's the sort of thing you would do because you love gadgets, but it would never stack up from a financial point of view.  Digging holes is expensive. Having the top car uncovered in the elements makes no sense anyway. Surely there are better stacker solutions than that one.

Idea is to have 2 of these with one car underground in each. The top car/s are those normally left outside like my kids cars. Debate is to do what you do but then u dont have your favorites with you unfortunately. Cost per unit fully installed with pit done is about $100k BTW

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

I'm planning something similar

Keen to know if you have done any research

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Idea is to have 2 of these with one car underground in each. The top car/s are those normally left outside like my kids cars. Debate is to do what you do but then u dont have your favorites with you unfortunately. Cost per unit fully installed with pit done is about $100k BTW

wow, that seems excessive.

you could dig a pit and finish it off for less than $30k (depending on site and latent conditions it could vary +- 40%)  then you could just get a standard 4 post hoist, modify it and end up with a similar result for well under half of that most likely.

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0

Find out the make up of that $100k ... and how much of that is dumping/tipping costs for the fill/soil being taken out.  Round here it's usually about $1k a truck ... where a truck is usually about 20 tonne (roughly 20m3).

So the point is ... I'm betting at least $20k of that is excavation and tip fees.

Then what they excators do is find somewhere to dump it who needs fill ... then they charge you for the removal and someone else for the receiving and groundworks.  They win twice over!!

Trick is to find a friend / or even use gumtree ... who needs several tonnes of fill.

I did this for a friend and his swimming pool - his tipping fees were $0.

We swallowed 10 trucks into the garden ... I could easily swallow another 100 trucks and not blink.

I need tonnes of fill to level a 1/4 acre and then topsoil to cover 2 acres!!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

you could dig a pit and finish it off for less than $30k (depending on site and latent conditions it could vary +- 40%)  then you could just get a standard 4 post hoist, modify it and end up with a similar result for well under half of that most likely.

I think it will be closer to $100k

consideration needs to be given to waterproof concrete floors/walls, drainage with sump and pump ( + redundancy), power and for safety issues something engineered better than a 4 post hoist.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

I was kinda thinking $40k to $50k for the pit all in (if its $100k - forget it.). A mate is in this game so will get a better idea from him.

Much over $100k all up is getting silly as might as well buy a warehouse IMO

Offline Joel

Yeah shit isn't going to be cheap.
It's all good if you are building from scratch because everything is a lot easier to access and you have the guys there already.

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
I was kinda thinking $40k to $50k for the pit all in (if its $100k - forget it.). A mate is in this game so will get a better idea from him.

Much over $100k all up is getting silly as might as well buy a warehouse IMO

Can you not extend forwards, sideways or backwards for the house ... ??  I would never drive my car if it was in a warehouse somewhere ... and would drive me nuts every time I want to wander down and tinker with it in the mancave ... while watching some TV or gym workout or whatever!

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I think it will be closer to $100k

consideration needs to be given to waterproof concrete floors/walls, drainage with sump and pump ( + redundancy), power and for safety issues something engineered better than a 4 post hoist.

it all comes down to how you manage it, and who does the work for you.

certainly, if you just write a cheque you may be up for $100k, but if you can put in a below ground pool all done for $25k this excavation wouldn't be much different. ask a pool contractor for a quote, they may surprise you.

again, as per my comment above, it all depends on latent conditions etc.

we had an issue at work a few months back where there was a sewer pipe in the middle of a new swimming pool excavation. contractor decided to just keep going and ended up with this :/