Offline Paulstar

If he gets 50,000 subscribers globally at $3 per month ($36 annual subscription (10 cents a day) he's got $1.5m to play with.
Plug in ad revenue with product placements as suggested above and there's more income to be had.
$5k per video x 52 videos per year = $260,000 production costs
Let's assume another $240,000 in costs I haven't considered.
That leaves a clean million in the kick.
If he can't make that equation work he should pack it in.
Bottom line (for me anyway) it's not the fact that he's charging that's the issue, he's charging too much.
I know there is the argument of a smaller group of high value clients paying more and staying loyal vs low value who may only subscribe for one year then bail, but to get the ball rolling I would have gone with a lower cost model personally.
Then again I'm not Chris Harris and have 0 followers!

I think 5k per video is very conservative, the quality of his videos is good - broadcast quality even. Also I get the sense he travels a lot to film so he either has to take his crew or find local guys to do the work.  He likely cannot support his production costs + eat with banner ads he needs to be smarter and create sponsorship opportunities.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Clothing and watch sponsors would work well. Good amount of screen time with Harris wearing the stuff.
Chopard watches would be a good fit - they do a nice race/car related mille miglia range.

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline Paulstar

Clothing and watch sponsors would work well. Good amount of screen time with Harris wearing the stuff.
Chopard watches would be a good fit - they do a nice race/car related mille miglia range.

Agree, he's got Youtube and Twitter skins that can be sponsored. He can create a 'What should Chris drive next' poll with 3 options sponsored by someone or the other. Or he could go back to an employer and collect a salary each week or fortnight.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
The only way I have ever seen this work is through nudity.
Chris Harris nude plus assorted car's, the movie, 3d

Offline tentacles1

I don't see what the big fuss is about in regard to paying to subscribe to Drive+.

Just because the content is delivered through YouTube doesn't mean that it should be free forever. That channel is how a number of people earn their livings, people that have worked for years delivering content across different platforms to establish the reputations that they now have.

People are more than happy to pay for a magazine to read an article by Chris Harris when he was writing for evo, autocar etc, so how is paying for a subscription to a channel so different to subscribing to a magazine?

While some people may not find him entertaining, I do, and think he is one of the best in the business, so why shouldn't he be able to earn enough to lease a Ferrari? He is probably still earning exponentially less than other entertainers with a fan base the size of his. I hope that it works out for them and they continue to provide quality content.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
The only way I have ever seen this work is through nudity.
Chris Harris nude plus assorted car's, the movie, 3d

F*ck this made me laugh.
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
I didn't think twice about subscribing. The content is great.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

pay if you want, or pirate bay if you don't want to pay

simple

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I think as pointed out Chris is not a celebrity like others.

thing is, I would pay for top gear no problems, but for his reviews i watch them more for just something to pass the time, but if it were for actually sitting down and watching for entertainment i'd go elsewhere.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I really don't get why anybody feels "entitled" to access or worse still, steal somebody elses property for free. Where does that mentality come from FFS ?? Do the people doing all the complaining and bitching work for free? Of course not. We are not talking huge money to subscribe either. People are bitching about paying the cost of a cup of coffee a month? Geez get a life.

Like him or not, Chris Harris has built a brand with these videos that has been very successful in terms of views if not economic returns to date. Forgetting all the entertaining sliding and drifting stuff, I think his reviews are very informative and his delivery style is excellent. As he explained, the videos are very expensive to create. It's not rocket science, if he can't get enough money in to cover  costs and make a decent return then he can't and won't make any more of them.

He is a smart guy from what I have read and made money from other enterprises outside of Journalism. I reckon he has looked hard at all possible ways of raising income besides a subscription model. He knows very well that most people will steal his property as a result of this bewildering sense of "entitlement" rather than pay the peanuts he is asking for. If I were in his shoes a subscription model would be one of my less favoured options as a result.