Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
he's sold it now, and this is the shorter free version of the video...but still worth seeing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlMujTWIPs4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlMujTWIPs4</a>
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline Neru

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Chris is now embroiled in a large amount of internet drama over the backlash for the pay to view model
On twitter he mentioned he felt like he was accused of shooting a school full of children

Offline Paulstar

Chris is now embroiled in a large amount of internet drama over the backlash for the pay to view model
On twitter he mentioned he felt like he was accused of shooting a school full of children

:phttp://archive.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free?currentPage=all

It's always going to be a struggle getting someone to pay anything for something that used to be free. Micro-transactions might fix that or reduce some of the friction at least for the masses.

I think if he showed where the money goes, people may be more inclined to pay. People might pay for a Chris Harris channel, $5 a month if he commits to a schedule of content to be delivered and sticks to it.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
People on the internet expect everything free. Sure the local kid down the street can shoot a video and post it on YouTube at no cost. However as Chris has explained the cost of producing each video can be $5,000+ in some cases.

It's simple in the end
1) Advertisers pay for the content or
2) People who watch pay for the content or
3) Content is not created

Offline Paulstar

I think Chris asking his viewers to pay is lazy/greedy. Lazy to line up sponsorship/create sponsorship opportunities or greedy to imagine that a million people might each pay $1 (or whatever it is) to watch his video and he gets this huge pay day of one video.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
He needs coke cans in his drink holders and Mobil 1 stickers on his dash boards. You think they would have worked this stuff out ages ago. He can sell his own advertising on his videos just like youtube does. He needs to learn more about advertising.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

He could probably hold monthly draws where people pay $2-5 to be in the next video... then people would pay... get sponsorship from Malaysia airlines to bring in the winners.  :D

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
If he gets 50,000 subscribers globally at $3 per month ($36 annual subscription (10 cents a day) he's got $1.5m to play with.
Plug in ad revenue with product placements as suggested above and there's more income to be had.
$5k per video x 52 videos per year = $260,000 production costs
Let's assume another $240,000 in costs I haven't considered.
That leaves a clean million in the kick.
If he can't make that equation work he should pack it in.
Bottom line (for me anyway) it's not the fact that he's charging that's the issue, he's charging too much.
I know there is the argument of a smaller group of high value clients paying more and staying loyal vs low value who may only subscribe for one year then bail, but to get the ball rolling I would have gone with a lower cost model personally.
Then again I'm not Chris Harris and have 0 followers!

The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

What he's not getting is that he's not truly a celeb, people are watching 92.5% for the car, 2.5% for Chris Harris and 5% because someone posted it on their forum. People seem to like Chris Harris but they watch for the cars, no him.