Offline maccattack

Found some good info for the club -  ;)

1.   Get a secret! A secret society has a secret to protect. The Illuminati are said to have a secret plan to take over the world (and is said to already be working).

2.   Read a few clique-like books for some background information. Get any number of your friends to read these books. Privately talk with one of your closest friends whom you know will love the idea of starting a secret society.

3.   Think of a name. You and your closest friend should discuss what your secret society should be called. Also discuss who you will induct. Remember, even if you have a large group of (really good) friends, not all of them are secret society material. They won't find out, as it is a secret society.

4.   Conduct a proper initiation for you and your closest friends. This should be done before you initiate others. That way, you are sure to come up with a good idea. The initiation is one of the most important parts of the society. It has to be something neither of you would do normally. Candle-lighting sets a serious and official tone, which is always good.

5.   Figure out what your society does. There have to be rules. Set a schedule for fun things you can do, ie. dressing alike on certain days, or having monthly rituals. Have fun with it! It's all about your creativity.

6.   Find potential members. Subtly drop something related to your secret in a conversation with a friend to figure out how they feel about it. Make sure there's no possibility they ever betray you, make sure they will be okay with the rules. Don't mention your secret society until you are absolutely sure they can be completely trusted.

7.   Induct your members. Invite your friends to a sleepover and then spring it on them. They will be surprised and excited, and thrilled because they are special.

8.   An important thing in secret societies is to meet in secret, that means meeting in a new place every time.

9.   Make a dress code. Most small secret societies use robe while large ones, like the Freemasons, have complex mason aprons.

10.   Keep quiet and have fun. Your friends and you will be even closer than ever.

Remember to initiate well to do people in the society.

Offline akatyk

WTF are you on about? Corporate veil? Is that some kind of office dance involving turkish coffee?

Corporate veil protects directors of a limited (proprietary or public, and some types) company from being personally liable for any losses of the company.

Offline akatyk

Every car club I've been a member of has been an incorporated association, not a Pty Ltd company.

Corporations Act 2001: Pt 1.2 Div 1:

"incorporated in Australia, in relation to a body corporate, includes incorporated by or under a law of:
(a) the Commonwealth; or
(b) a State; or
(c) an internal Territory."

Correct me if I am wrong, but obtaining a business name does not make one incorporated.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Correct me if I am wrong, but obtaining a business name does not make one incorporated.

You are correct.  Was someone suggesting such a thing?

This might help you understand...

http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/Registering+not-for-profit+or+charitable+organisations?openDocument

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Corporate veil protects directors of a limited (proprietary or public, and some types) company from being personally liable for any losses of the company.

How?
C'mon, do it!

Offline akatyk

Well, that is the whole principle of having an incorporated company, with some exceptions. The major idea behind being able to register a company and thus become incorporated is to promote entrepreneurial ideas and the economy. Therefore, unless the corporate veil is pierced (example being if directors engage in insolvent trading), the directors will not be personally liable for the losses of the company. The principle in Salomon's case (one of) states that the duties owned to third parties and that of directors to the company's activities are separate and distinct.

Offline allanuber

Sorry. Didn't phrase that 'how' quite right. The original question was about forming a car club, perhaps for Uber, perhaps for AE members.

We were trundling along and then it appeared that you had suggested forming a company. Ergo, the assumption was the company formation and the protection offered by the mighty veil may have in some way related to helping us form a Club, if indeed we did go ahead.

So yes, I get the principal of a company being seen as a separate entity to its shareholders, but I'm still not grasphing the link between the compay and the car club...
C'mon, do it!

Offline dkabab

but I'm still not grasphing the link between the compay and the car club...

one funds the other

Offline akatyk

Correct. Thus, if an event one organises goes wrong, for example, and one decides to take legal action, one will be taking it against the company and not people running it (with some exceptions).

Note: I am not admitted and my words here or before should not be taken as legal advice but just a suggestion for further research.

Offline allanuber

Correct. Thus, if an event one organises goes wrong, for example, and one decides to take legal action, one will be taking it against the company and not people running it (with some exceptions).

Note: I am not admitted and my words here or before should not be taken as legal advice but just a suggestion for further research.

Ok, if it stands. Or alternately as MHH suggests an incorporated association appears to provide the exact coverage you've suggested regarding the corporate veil, with the more accepted requirement to have structure, membership fees and records.

Luckily my younger bro is a solicitor, so can weigh in to see if this adds any value to the ponderings.
C'mon, do it!