Offline Paulstar

POLICE in Switzerland said today they had seized a Swedish motorist's $240,000 sports car after he was caught doing 290km/h on a Swiss motorway.

Swiss officials were unable to say if it was a record because they do not keep such nationwide data, but it "looks very close to one," federal roads office spokesman Thomas Rohrbach said.

Police in the western canton of Fribourg said in a statement that the 37 year-old driver had to be stopped by a neighbouring police force last Friday after he shot past a permanent speed trap.

His driving licence and 570-horsepower black Mercedes-Benz were seized after he was released from custody, and he could face a fine of up to one million Swiss francs ($1.050m) depending on his income.

A local magistrate ordered police to keep the car as security pending a likely court ruling and an eventual sentence.

Driving more than 25km/h over the 120km/h-speed limit on motorways in Switzerland is regarded as a criminal offence, and fines are based on a driver's revenue.

The Swedish motorist's alleged speed goes off the scale and the penalty is at the judge's discretion, up to a maximum of 1.08 million Swiss francs for speeding, Mr Rohrbach said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/swiss-police-halt-swedish-drivers-290kmh-dash-in-mercedes-benz-could-cost-1-million/story-e6frfku0-1225903257112#ixzz0w9qdNvIf

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/swiss-police-halt-swedish-drivers-290kmh-dash-in-mercedes-benz-could-cost-1-million/story-e6frfku0-1225903257112

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

but the million dollar question is, how many demerit points will he get?? the rest is 'just' money :P

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/uk/At-538000-pounds-highest-ever-traffic-fine/articleshow/6302255.cms

At 538000 pounds, highest-ever traffic fine

LONDON: A Swedish driver, who sped through Switzerland and received world’s highest ever motoring fine of £538,000, said, "I think the speedo on the car, which is new, is faulty."

The 37-year-old driver was clocked at 180mph while driving through Switzerland in a Mercedes SLS AMG that costs £140,000. The car was impounded along with his driving licence and the driver is facing the world’s biggest ever motoring fine of around £538,000, Daily Mail reported.

The police arrested him after he stopped in a layby. The driver had previously escaped being caught on numerous speed cameras as he was going too fast. A new generation of radar machines caught him zooming along at close to 300kph. Benoit Dumas, a police officer, said,"He needed over half-a-kilometre of road to come to a halt."

Offline Paulstar

Now I'm curious as to what his income is...10 times that?

I read another blurb yesterday, apparently numerous speed cameras failed to issue him a ticket because they were the old gen, which didn't clock speeds over 200KMH, this was a new gen.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Atleast he has the opportunity to drive on motorways that allow you to hit those speeds unlike OZ (unless you go out to the middle of the outback.

just saw this on the news over here in neighbouring Austria, heading up to Munchen tomorrow so i'll do the best my little rental can do.

Ford Mondeo FTW!!!! 
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Paulstar

Atleast he has the opportunity to drive on motorways that allow you to hit those speeds unlike OZ (unless you go out to the middle of the outback.

just saw this on the news over here in neighbouring Austria, heading up to Munchen tomorrow so i'll do the best my little rental can do.

Ford Mondeo FTW!!!!

He's paid a million bucks for the pleasure! thats approximately 2000 Burrows days :D we do have a freeway to attain those speeds, M4 past Mulgoa Road exit up to say Lapstone exit or even further, after dark traffic is basically nil,  and no speed cameras but make sure to look out for aerial police doing speed checks  :doh:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com