Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
67 in a 60 zone - West Tce - 9am on a Sunday morning.  :?
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
A few months old - but just stumbled on another of Paul Pottinger's articles:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23390640-5001021,00.html

Cameras fixed on minor offences

ALMOST nine out of 10 of the motorists caught speeding in the network of fixed speed cameras in last year's record fine haul were only minimally over the speed limit.

An analysis of the 620,194 speeding fines generated from fixed speed cameras in NSW shows that 87 per cent were slapped with a ticket for the minimum offence - exceeding the speed limit by less than 15km/h.

Office of State Revenue documents show that the 542,290 motorists caught with a low-range speeding offence delivered $49,256,687 into state revenue.

In marked contrast, other Office of State Revenue figures - released at the same time - show police-issued speeding fines were clearly targeting high-speed hoons.

Just 38 per cent of the 202,850 police-issued speeding fines were for the minimum offence.

The high numbers of low-level speeding offences issued via fixed speed cameras follows The Daily Telegraph yesterday revealing that fixed-speed camera revenue had doubled in a year.

Total value of fines jumped from $34.23 million in 2006 to $70.9 million in 2007 - largely due to the rollout of school zone sites in the wake of the second road accident involving little Sydney girl Sophie Delezio.

NRMA president Alan Evans said the enormous growth in fines revenue - and the percentage of low-level speeding offenders being caught - was "disturbing".

Mr Evans said the NRMA was planning to meet with the RTA soon to look more closely at the latest trend in fixed camera fines.

"We would like to have an audit of some of these camera sites and examine issues such as the local environment and traffic flow," he said.

"It's concerning that people are being caught speeding in such a narrow band."

Documents released under Freedom of Information showed many of the new school zone locations are now the busiest speed camera traps in NSW - despite flashing warning lights being installed.

Among the busiest, twin cameras at King Georges Rd, Beverly Hills issued in 41,429 tickets raising $5.48 million in revenue.

The RTA have never disclosed how many kilometres over the speed limit their cameras permit before registering an infringement.

An RTA spokesman said the authority had a strict policy on not stating a figure "because to do so would create in the minds of motorists a new speed limit".

However, it appears that past assumptions of a 10km/h leniency are not correct.

The Daily Telegraph is aware of one driver who was fined for driving at 63km/h in a 60km/h zone.

Analysis of traffic fines at each fixed camera site show that some do not pick up a single motorist higher than the minimum speeding offence - including one site on Woy Woy Rd, Kariong.

Offline waz356

67 in a 60 zone - West Tce - 9am on a Sunday morning.  :?

57 on South Terrace at 8am on a weekday a couple of months ago.  :mad:

goober

230 just outside Horsham in 93, $1500 fine 6 months loss of lic in Vic...............thats changed now.................federal lic makes it aust wide

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

57 on South Terrace at 8am on a weekday a couple of months ago.  :mad:

I got pinged at that speed on Hutt. I try and not get pissed off cuz for them to detect me at 57, my speedo was likely to have been hitting 60....so I asked for it  :rolleyes:

Offline M500

69 in a 50 zone on Glynburn Rd at 9:15 a month ago = $196

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

69 in a 50 zone on Glynburn Rd at 9:15 a month ago = $196

$196 bucks for a bit of nookie - ouch :p

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

Get your coat Ash... :D
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Some beat-up story on the news about a GPS integrated car system... they did a little vox-pop and one of the respondents was some average outer-burbs overweight mother of four who just drives a-to-b etc etc... 

Anyhoo, what she said really caught my attention as to where priorities lie - I mean, not like *WE* didn't know already, but to hear someone like that say it too...

Basically, she was asked about bringing in technology to keep cars automatically at the speed limit - here's my paraphrasing:

"Yeah I think it's a great idea!  Every now and then I look down at the speedo and realise I'm going above the limit, obviously I'm not spending enough time glancing down at my speedo!"

That was seriously the gist of her answer. 

BTW - it's not that she thought she was being dangerous.

Online jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Yeah saw that. I like the way you can override the system, in case you want to ovetake the system is disabled by putting your foot flat to the floor, right just going to have to drive like that all the time!