Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
SA will have its own point to point soon its earmarked from the outskirts of Adelaide (port wakefield rd) to Port Augusta.

This will be the first of many Transport SA have said. I dont know how long the trial will be before a rollout commences.

And yes its for cars and trucks speeding not only trucks as has been the case for many years.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Talking to a little birdy :p - he told me that the point to point systems have been trailed in NSW and SA since about early/mid 2007, and are now going to be put into service in SA, hence NSX's info.
NSW is to follow soon. What I don't understand is why it takes almost 2 years to trail these things before they go into service???? Apparently SA and NSW are not going to use the same system as Vic, you would think they would use a proven system and put them in service straight away???

On some other news on a similar subject, here in Vic and NSW(not sure about SA) they are trailing a new "weapon in speeding" as they say.
A new Laser device that sits on the parcel shelf of the Cop car. This detects if you are coming up behind too fast!!!   :?

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
On some other news on a similar subject, here in Vic and NSW(not sure about SA) they are trailing a new "weapon in speeding" as they say.
A new Laser device that sits on the parcel shelf of the Cop car. This detects if you are coming up behind too fast!!!   :?

Roof mounted radar to detect vehicles from behind have been used since Noah was a little boy. Having said that they were'nt laser.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Roof mounted radar to detect vehicles from behind have been used since Noah was a little boy. Having said that they were'nt laser.

Isn't laser highly directional?  Surely radar is what they would use with a general dispersed beam?

Offline dkabab

i think  from memory the LIDAR (laser) has a target of about 1m sqaured.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Isn't laser highly directional?  Surely radar is what they would use with a general dispersed beam?
i think  from memory the LIDAR (laser) has a target of about 1m sqaured.

Ah, reading the SA BS thread reminded me to answer this.

From what I understand there are several ways that Laser is being used for speed detection.

The older laser guns use the laser as a sight to aim at a particular car in the traffic, then it uses radar to find out the speed.

There are other guns now that use the laser to aim and calculate the speed, these are highly directional and can be used to pick a car out of the traffic. The old radar guns could not do this so the car needed to be pretty much out by itself for them to get an accurate reading.

The new roof mounted/dash mounted/parcel shelf mounted jobs work like the laser targeting systems used for smart bombs, etc. It "paints" a target on the car and locks on to it - and when it gets a stable signal it calculates the speed and bang you are gone. Where as before the cop had to aim the gun, these do it automatically. But they are very much only in the trail stage at this time.