Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

While in tassie last weekend, i saw an ad on telly telling Aussies how to merge "zipper" style...

cracked me up...

I'm not sure what it is, or why, but I can't believe how bad it is here... NOBODY seems to be able to merge properly... but at long last somebody has realised, and at least the tassies are getting told!
Used to live in Hahndorf and used the South Eastern Freeway everyday. Monday to Friday in the morning you would just drive down the ramp and a space would be there to merge. Saturday and Sunday it was like you where asking for their first born if you wanted to merge. On the weekends all the city people who did not use merge lanes normally would close up the gaps to stop you from getting in front of them. Many times they would not either drop back a little or move right into the empty lane to allow you in.

Remember seeing this video when I was a kid back in the 60's.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI2rFZOBSUw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI2rFZOBSUw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv68cGB44bs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv68cGB44bs</a>

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Been there, done that on the spaghetti junctions in the US.  And every time you'd be looking at the other lanes three layers above or below saying - Dang it ! that's where we needed to be...
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/9104840/wa-drivers-worst-at-merging/

WA drivers 'worst' at merging

by KENT ACOTT

WA drivers have been branded the nation's worst at merging.

The inability to merge efficiently has been identified as one of the causes of congestion in Perth.

"We are the worst in the world - too selfish and too territorial to merge effectively," Motor Trade Association of WA chief executive Stephen Moir said. "We see it as a race to get to the merge point first."

In a survey of RAC members, 70 per cent identified merging as the task WA motorists were worst at, ahead of keeping a safe distance between vehicles (64 per cent) and using a roundabout (49 per cent).

"One of the reasons our freeways don't flow as well as they should is because we don't know how to merge," RAC head of member advocacy Matt Brown said.

According to the Department of Transport's driver training booklet, merging motorists must give way to a vehicle that is ahead of them on the road and that drivers should "take turns to merge if there are long lines of merging traffic".

Mr Moir said WA motorists were clearly not following the guidelines. "You just have to see the gridlock every morning at the entrance to the tunnel on Graham Farmer Freeway to realise motorists are not taking turns," he said.

"The irony is that if everyone did the right thing, traffic would flow better and it would be quicker to get where we want to get."

Mr Brown said there were two main reasons for WA motorists' poor merging performance.

"Motorists still drive like we are a sleepy little town when in fact we are a rapidly growing city where we need to be aware of each other," he said. "WA drivers also have an aggressive streak - with very territorial habits.

"We refuse to give a centimetre to another driver, which is crazy. In the context of a journey to work, a motorist who refuses to yield to another driver in a merge situation is saving just one car space. It does not make sense."

Figures released last year by Main Roads WA, collected from crash data over five years, shows the northbound Vincent Street on-ramp on the Mitchell Freeway is the worst merging spot in WA with 100 crashes (19 requiring medical treatment).
This was followed by the merging point on the westbound East Parade on-ramp on the Graham Farmer Freeway (65 crashes, 13 requiring medical treatment) and the Canning Highway on-ramp heading north on the Kwinana Freeway (70 crashes, nine requiring medical treatment).

Offline fastoy

• Drives: SLK 55 AMG Mercedes-Benz
The American road system just blows me away. Those spaghetti junctions are just amazing.

Its good for the soul to cruise right through, - actually above, - Denver, at a cool 90 MPH, (145Kmh) moving with the traffic. No harrassment, and no traffic jams.

Similarly, we drove right to the middle pf Phoenix, - population the same as Sydney, - ariport, at cruise speed, no lights, no nothing. Magic.

A few years ago, the taxi taking us to Rome airport in the very early morning, - no traffic, - was cruising at 140kmh. When I asked about that, the driver told me that the Police don't hassle anyone who is not actually causing a problem.

The road and traffic situation in Australia is positively 18th century by comparison.

I've done 15 road trips around, across and through the US and canada. I've been stopped once, a speeding incident that ended in no ticket and a 'bon voyage'.

Just last week a friend was stopped in an Arizona State park for doing 104kmh in a 72kmh zone. On his Ducati. Let off with a warning and no ticket.   

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/about-time-new-system-brisbanes-traffic-lights-get-into-sync-to-ease-congestion/story-e6freoof-1226034505495

About time. Brisbane's traffic lights get into sync to ease congestion

by Robyn Ironside

BRISBANE'S 850 sets of traffic lights are about to get into sync, with the city council today announcing details of a new multi-million dollar system.

Developed in Sydney and in use in 142 other cities around the world, the $3 million SCATS traffic management system will replace Brisbane City Council's own signal system, which is more than 20 years old.

Acting Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said the beauty of the SCATS system was that it could automatically count cars at intersections and control traffic lights to improve flows and reduce congestion.

He said it had already been implemented on several roads including Coronation Drive and Moggill Road - where travel time savings of up to 17 per cent had been recorded.

"Brisbane City Council controls over 850 sets of traffic lights so it's essential we have a world-class traffic signal system that is adaptable enough to respond to the daily congestion challenges that emerge on our local road network,'' Cr Quirk said.

As well as operating more effectively, Cr Quirk said SCATS would be more cost efficient than the current BLISS system, saving ratepayers $900,000 a year.

He said the system could be manually overridden if necessary but was ``tried and tested'', controlling more than 32,000 intersections around the world.

Annerley Road at Dutton Park will be the next to have SCATS installed, with the rollout expected to be completed by the end of 2012.

Cr Quirk said the CBD and Fortitude Valley would be the last on the list.

Offline Last_Ride

• Drives: a thing with 4 wheels
  • Name: call me habib
Isn't that been done in Melbourne for so many years
my car does 0-100 in 30 mins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44014241@N03/

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

What's the go with the new bus lanes in Adelaide? It seems like people treat them like lava.

This morning I was on Pulteney facing South at the lights about to turn onto Grenfell, there was a dude in another car on the other side about to turn left into Grenfell. There's two lanes there, so I do my usual turn in my own lane, but this other dude tried to turn into "my" lane and nearly smooshed me then gave me a good honking.

I figgered that whilst you're not supposed to cruise in the bus lanes, surely you're allowed to use them for standard manouvres like lane changes etc.

I'm still not sure whether I'm in the right or wrong in this situation, either way if this is how people are going to treat them I'm best to just leave people a wide berth.

Killa illustration Copyright.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Sorry to hear about your Google outage.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/better/bus-priority-lane-project-in-the-city-june-2012

:D

There ya go:

While the bus lane is in operation, drivers must not:
    * drive in a bus lane, except when:
          - entering or leaving a road

In each case the maximum distance you may drive in the bus lane is 100 metres.

So yeah, I was correct - but naive - to expect people to turn in their own lane.

Offline CortinaD

:D

There ya go:

So yeah, I was correct - but naive - to expect people to turn in their own lane.

I just wait now in that situation. To many dbags don't the rules (or don't care) and its not worth copping road rage over it. It only seems to be a problem in ADL, I have never had the problem in QLD or VIC.