Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
This isn't a call to "speeding" (whatever that is), it's against the anti-speeding ( "slowing" ? ) mentality that government has bestowed upon the people.

They cite "speeding" as the biggest factors in road deaths, but in all the times I've died on the road doing this "speeding" thing, I've never come closer to dying or killing people more than I have in the times when I've had to deal with "slowing" motorists.

Most of Australia's non-arterial main roads are single-lane (each-way) roads with a couple feet of run-off gravel, which means if it's on anything more than a straight road you can't overtake safely, but if it's on a straight then the slow car can do the speed limit.

So get this - Nearly every "overtaking zone" you'll encounter is an area in which slow drivers can actually accumulate enough courage to do the speed limit, which means in order to overtake them you have to break the law (and guess where the cops sit), but anywhere else that you and your car are comfortable doing the limit, you are unable to overtake.

I now live in the country and visit the city regularly (a 100km drive), and without fail every time you're behind someone doing 60-70 in a 100 zone, they will speed up to 110 in a place that is safe to overtake, and then slow down to 60-70 again once it's unsafe to overtake.

I can SEE the mentality of the person in front of me, they're like "dude I CAN do the speed limit!!! See!!!!", I'm just thinking "yeah, you can do it on a long straight, I can do it in the bends. Move over already."

What do? We obviously can't change the mentality. Fuckwits forever. Can we change the rules or do we just have to move?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
This isn't a call to "speeding" (whatever that is), it's against the anti-speeding ( "slowing" ? ) mentality that government has bestowed upon the people.

They cite "speeding" as the biggest factors in road deaths, but in all the times I've died on the road doing this "speeding" thing, I've never come closer to dying or killing people more than I have in the times when I've had to deal with "slowing" motorists.

Most of Australia's non-arterial main roads are single-lane (each-way) roads with a couple feet of run-off gravel, which means if it's on anything more than a straight road you can't overtake safely, but if it's on a straight then the slow car can do the speed limit.

So get this - Nearly every "overtaking zone" you'll encounter is an area in which slow drivers can actually accumulate enough courage to do the speed limit, which means in order to overtake them you have to break the law (and guess where the cops sit), but anywhere else that you and your car are comfortable doing the limit, you are unable to overtake.

I now live in the country and visit the city regularly (a 100km drive), and without fail every time you're behind someone doing 60-70 in a 100 zone, they will speed up to 110 in a place that is safe to overtake, and then slow down to 60-70 again once it's unsafe to overtake.

I can SEE the mentality of the person in front of me, they're like "dude I CAN do the speed limit!!! See!!!!", I'm just thinking "yeah, you can do it on a long straight, I can do it in the bends. Move over already."

What do? We obviously can't change the mentality. Fuckwits forever. Can we change the rules or do we just have to move?

Try living in countries where people do drive properly and then coming back to the retarded shit.

I constantly run crash cams in all of my cars for the last month, I've got some real shocker drivers already on my hard drive waiting to make it to the interwebs.

FYI in NSW at least, it is illegal to hog the right lane on a road that is 80kph or above. And it is advised to always drive in the left hand lane wherever possible for lower speeds. Overtaking lane is for overtaking, for right hand turns, avoiding obstacles in the left lanes or when there is heavy traffic.

Guess how many people have been fined for this???? NONE!!!!

Yesterday I was driving through the lane cove tunnel (80kph sign posted, IMO should be 130kph tunnel like in euro) highway patrol car was doing 60 in the left lane (looked like he was playing around with his onboard computer, so an idiot sits in the cops blind spot in the overtaking lane at 60kph because they didn't want to overtake a police car that was doing well under the speed limit (no other cars in front). Blocking the fucking over taking lane right next to someone who could have fined them!!!

Got another thing that pisses me off in Sydney that some people majorly fuck up, but I'll need the help of google earth and street view to explain it.

Now my blood pressure is rising
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Time to move. I recommend northern Italy. We'll visit you occasionally.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Try moving to Melbourne :rolleyes:

Offline CortinaD

LOL at 100km being in the country.

Buy a helicopter or just relax and enjoy the drive. Either way it is a win/win.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

FYI in NSW at least, it is illegal to hog the right lane on a road that is 80kph or above. And it is advised to always drive in the left hand lane wherever possible for lower speeds. Overtaking lane is for overtaking, for right hand turns, avoiding obstacles in the left lanes or when there is heavy traffic.

Ok, I think there was another thread about this before, but funnily enough I didn't realise just how bad drivers here were until I had a good day.

Let me explain - a few weeks ago I drove a few dozen km along the freeway, sounds easy enough yeah? But this day everyone who was doing the speed limit or below were in the left lane, and everyone else who was overtaking was in the right lane for 10-15 seconds and then back in the left lane. It was magical.

For some reason I thought that is what traffic should be - but I've since had that shoved up my arse, and realised that in our reality everyone sits at 10-30kph below the limit and they drive side by side - either that or the guy in the "overtaking" lane is doing it for a slo-mo reaction shot or something.

I have probably overtaken more people by using the left lane in the past 2 months than ever. For 2-3 seconds after I blaze past them in the non-overtaking lane I wonder what they were thinking, then realise fuck them I'm having more fun even if it's slow.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Time to move. I recommend northern Italy. We'll visit you occasionally.

Definitely taking reccomendations. At this stage Sparti is trumps - but where in Norwog do you reccommend?

Also - my spell-chequer still tells me I can't spell recomend.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

LOL at 100km being in the country.

Buy a helicopter or just relax and enjoy the drive. Either way it is a win/win.

Close enough. (I've lived as remote as you can dream)

So many times I tell myself "just enjoy the drive, you're in a fucking Lotus" - but you get used to it quickly and end up just wondering why everyone else is stupid and wishing for another distraction (I can't even get radio past Mt Barker).

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Ok, I think there was another thread about this before, but funnily enough I didn't realise just how bad drivers here were until I had a good day.

Let me explain - a few weeks ago I drove a few dozen km along the freeway, sounds easy enough yeah? But this day everyone who was doing the speed limit or below were in the left lane, and everyone else who was overtaking was in the right lane for 10-15 seconds and then back in the left lane. It was magical.

For some reason I thought that is what traffic should be - but I've since had that shoved up my arse, and realised that in our reality everyone sits at 10-30kph below the limit and they drive side by side - either that or the guy in the "overtaking" lane is doing it for a slo-mo reaction shot or something.

I have probably overtaken more people by using the left lane in the past 2 months than ever. For 2-3 seconds after I blaze past them in the non-overtaking lane I wonder what they were thinking, then realise fuck them I'm having more fun even if it's slow.

If I want to get from the city to my parents place (30km out of the cbd) as quick as possible without speeding, then I find myself in the left lane ( this includes roads of 2-4 lanes wide) about 80% of the time.    Proved it with my missus, we both left in separate cars at same time. For a trip that takes 90 minutes in traffic (which in it self is pretty disgraceful) she stuck to the left lane wherever possible and I in the right wherever possible. She reached point B ~15 minutes faster. No joke
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline CortinaD

Close enough. (I've lived as remote as you can dream)

So many times I tell myself "just enjoy the drive, you're in a fucking Lotus" - but you get used to it quickly and end up just wondering why everyone else is stupid and wishing for another distraction (I can't even get radio past Mt Barker).

They aren't stupid, they are normal and it is you who is above average. Im surprised this wasn't in your welcome pack from Mensa.