Offline 98octane

Victorian drivers are on average distracted, unaware and slow.  Most don't know or abide by basic road rules. My pet hate is the drivers staying in the right lane under the speed limit.

As a commuter cyclist, every day I see drivers on their phones whilst driving, drifting across lanes, turning/overtaking without checking blind spots, rushing amber lights, etc. Plenty of those bad habits are pretty concerning, especially as a cyclist.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
No consideration of the "real" situation.

You were lied to about nearly everything in life, that's what's "real".

You might benefit from reading Delusion Damage. It's an annoying read, but even a couple years later I find my precis about it compelling and worthwhile.

Offline theintelligent1

• Vodka is Just Unfinished Gin

• Drives: Miss Daisy
These days I've gotten in the habit of flashing my high beams at people driving slowly in the right lane, more often than not -  they move out of the way.

Thats been my go to move for years.....generally works.......you do get the occasional knobjockey who after 4 or 5 flashes it is best just to undertake them when you can...........

Offline Paulstar

Thats been my go to move for years.....generally works.......you do get the occasional knobjockey who after 4 or 5 flashes it is best just to undertake them when you can...........

Ash, 1/2 your problem might be they can't see you behind them. The people in my experience that do not move are, this is what I think their thought process is..

1/ naive green p plates "I'm doing the speed limit so I don't have to move"
2/ old people "I'm dying anyway so go to hell"

Most other people in my experience move and then tuck in behind you probably hoping you'll get pinged for speeding first  :p

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

If they're dumb enough to drive slow in the right hand lane they probably wont understand flashing lights anyway.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
In other countries around the world you usually flash once from a distance as you approach, flash again when you are stuck behind them, turn on your indicator and move into a position where the driver infrint should be able to see your indicator on. All else fails continually hold your horn on until they move.

Although in Australia you are likely to get a smart ass who will then purposely go out of their way to block you, slam their brakes and make you hit them from behind (car behind is at fault for not leaving enough room to stop safely).

Alternatively if you are in an exotic they will call the police and make claims that you are driving "dangerously" and the cops will hassle you for no reason other than trying to fuck people off from the overtaking lane.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Fine... name it
I'll be there.

I thought I was the only guy in Melbourne who doesn't work.

Live and learn.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline viso

i've had similar experiences driving back from melbourne to adelaide for the grand prix the other weekend, it was magical (apart from the 'road works' but ill let that go for the moment). People moved out of the way if they were slow and everything was dandy until we got closer to Adelaide. By the time we reached stirling/aldgate exit on the freeway it was appalling, people going 70km/h in the right hand lane and giving us the finger for being behind them. if you're not comfortable on a freeway sit in the left hand lane its not a very hard concept to grasp.

On the complete different side of the scale i was overtaken by some complete dickhole in Brompton the other day. i was travelling 40km/h (the speed limit) and was being tailgated, beeped, flashed and abused by the guy behind me in his falcodore who eventually overtook me on the wrong side of the road with traffic coming the other way. I'm surprised he didn't kill someone.

the quality of drivers in this state is going downhill rapidly, something needs to change.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
After a full day of driving in Melbourne, there are some big differences when compared to Sydney.

1. Melbourne has actual smooth roads ( unlike Sydney's pot hole abortioned roads).
2. People generally give way more often and without confrontation.
3. The motorways today has constant traffic that actually to my surprise kept moving ( unlike Sydney).
4. Drivers do not change lanes anywhere near as much as Sydney drivers.
5. Melbourne drivers don't seem to be in as big a rush.

Just early impressions, maybe I just experienced a strange good streak???
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Neru

After a full day of driving in Melbourne, there are some big differences when compared to Sydney.

1. Melbourne has actual smooth roads ( unlike Sydney's pot hole abortioned roads).
2. People generally give way more often and without confrontation.
3. The motorways today has constant traffic that actually to my surprise kept moving ( unlike Sydney).
4. Drivers do not change lanes anywhere near as much as Sydney drivers.
5. Melbourne drivers don't seem to be in as big a rush.

Just early impressions, maybe I just experienced a strange good streak???

Most of it sounds right, toorak road is full of pot holes I cracked a wheel in a deep one once