Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

One limiting factor (amongst others) is the rule that you can't leave Australia while your car is here. For me, that is a narrowish window. Still, even for say 2-3 months, it would be fun. The fact that I've never heard of anyone actually doing this is a concern - I'm probably missing something.

The reason you have never heard of anyone doing it is that it can't be done the way you are looking at doing it.

The Carnet de Passage is meant for people visiting other countries to take their vehicle with them, you are not visiting. You are a resident of this country. The rules are very strict. DOTARS do not issue them anymore and they will not give you any assistance.

The fact of the matter is you can not reverse Carnet de Passage! You would need to put it into someone else's name who actually lives overseas and get them to do it. But they will have to stay here with the car, as soon as they leave the car has to go with them. But it can be here for a max of 12 months.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I remember reading on this very forum that if you bring in a car without paying the taxes, then you don't actually own it...but I digress.

Back in the day, you could bring in a car as a temporary import for 12 months, with the option to renew for another 12 months, but you had to put up a bond for the full value of the tax. That would be ideal if that method still exists. There were no restrictions that I know of.

That is the old rules that were changed years ago. Now it's 12 months Max and the car has to be exported before the 12 months is up or if you leave the country.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
That is the old rules that were changed years ago. Now it's 12 months Max and the car has to be exported before the 12 months is up or if you leave the country.

Sounds perfect, doesn't it?
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

You would need to put it into someone else's name who actually lives overseas and get them to do it. But they will have to stay here with the car, as soon as they leave the car has to go with them. But it can be here for a max of 12 months.
so my mum goes back and forth from Italy every year, spending 4 to 6 months here at a time.  :scratchchin:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

so my mum goes back and forth from Italy every year, spending 4 to 6 months here at a time.  :scratchchin:

If she is a resident of Italy with an Italian Passport then this is an option.

A Carnet de Passage is basically a Passport for your car.

I have been involved with two imports under a Carnet de Passage. One was a H1 Hummer and the other was a special Corvette. Both had to come out with one of the guys from the US and once their time was up they were exported to Europe. 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The reason you have never heard of anyone doing it is that it can't be done the way you are looking at doing it.

The Carnet de Passage is meant for people visiting other countries to take their vehicle with them, you are not visiting. You are a resident of this country. The rules are very strict. DOTARS do not issue them anymore and they will not give you any assistance.

The fact of the matter is you can not reverse Carnet de Passage! You would need to put it into someone else's name who actually lives overseas and get them to do it. But they will have to stay here with the car, as soon as they leave the car has to go with them. But it can be here for a max of 12 months.

You are probably right but my car is registered to a UK company, not me. I'm also applying for UK residency. It's difficult, but so was buying a car over there. I'll persevere for a bit longer. :)

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You are probably right but my car is registered to a UK company, not me. I'm also applying for UK residency. It's difficult, but so was buying a car over there. I'll persevere for a bit longer. :)

That makes it even harder then if registered to a company. I will ask my expert next week how the dual residency thing works in this case.

Other options you have for importing the car:
1, the pre 89 rule - out.
2, PI rule - out for the time being in your case.
3, Aussie Plate rule - doesn't apply in this case.
4, Race and Rally - local rego will be an issue under this VIA.
5, Letter of Compliance Option - won't apply to the 918.
6, Special Purpose Vehicles Option - unless you attach a crane to the 918 I don't think this will work.
7, Exhibition Vehicles Option - this one could be worth looking into more.
8, Non-Road Vehicles Option - nope.
9, Test and Evaluation Vehicles - don't think so.
10, SEVS - not going to happen.
11, SOFA - will only work if you are in the military.
12, Carnet - possibility.
13, Discretionary Approvals - this could be an option if you suck up to DOTARS big time!!!!   

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
How do ppl bring in promo cars and race cars from os i remember Classic Adelaide a few yrs ago when it was Mercedes 50th anniversary heaps of 300SL gullwing's were brought in and driven on public roads not only during the actual event.

A few Ferrari's were also brought in for an event that i drove from the port to the city they were all LDH.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

How do ppl bring in promo cars and race cars from os i remember Classic Adelaide a few yrs ago when it was Mercedes 50th anniversary heaps of 300SL gullwing's were brought in and driven on public roads not only during the actual event.

A few Ferrari's were also brought in for an event that i drove from the port to the city they were all LDH.

See option 7 above.

Or they could have also come in under Carnet if those guys were here visiting.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

See option 7 above.

Or they could have also come in under Carnet if those guys were here visiting.

Option 7 is no good. I want to drive the car and exhibition approvals come with very tight conditions.

I'm thinking my best chance is to get UK residency, then transfer registration to me as UK resident. That MIGHT work.