Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Option 7 is no good. I want to drive the car and exhibition approvals come with very tight conditions.

I'm thinking my best chance is to get UK residency, then transfer registration to me as UK resident. That MIGHT work.

Let me talk to my expert next week.

I will also send a message to my contact in DOTARS who has helped me with some sticky ones in the past.

In regards to option 13, it has to be approved by the Minister of Transport and so far I know of 4 letters that have been submitted with a zero success rate............

Offline Joel

Let me talk to my expert next week.

I will also send a message to my contact in DOTARS who has helped me with some sticky ones in the past.

In regards to option 13, it has to be approved by the Minister of Transport and so far I know of 4 letters that have been submitted with a zero success rate............

Obviously not bribing enough!

Offline NBTBRV8

Option 7 is no good. I want to drive the car and exhibition approvals come with very tight conditions.

I'm thinking my best chance is to get UK residency, then transfer registration to me as UK resident. That MIGHT work.

No you won't meet the requirements for this as you are talking about a personal import.  The only option will be a temporary import.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

No you won't meet the requirements for this as you are talking about a personal import.  The only option will be a temporary import.

Exhibition Vehicles Option allows for temporary import as well........

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

My interpretation is you would meet the requirements if you spent enough time living overseas to classify as an overseas resident. I think that is 6 months ?
Live in say Ireland with 15% tax rate, spend the 6 months holidaying
 around the EU.  Then the other 6 months playing here with your 918  :scratchchin:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

My interpretation is you would meet the requirements if you spent enough time living overseas to classify as an overseas resident. I think that is 6 months ?

It depends on where your primary passport was issued as well.............

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

There seem to be two issues. First is getting the carnet for the car. That means satisfying the issuing body (say ADAC) and there is no Australian agency input into this process.

The second is having the Australian government accept the carnet and allow the temporary importation. It seems to me that a valid carnet is likely to be accepted, subject to the usual undertakings to abide by the rules under which it is issued (can't sell, hire for reward, leave the country without the car etc).

So my question is - if I somehow get a carnet, on what basis might the temporary importation be refused by DOTARS?

I might add that my interest is only in temporary import and the residency application is to satisfy the standard required to get and use a carnet.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

There seem to be two issues. First is getting the carnet for the car. That means satisfying the issuing body (say ADAC) and there is no Australian agency input into this process.

The second is having the Australian government accept the carnet and allow the temporary importation. It seems to me that a valid carnet is likely to be accepted, subject to the usual undertakings to abide by the rules under which it is issued (can't sell, hire for reward, leave the country without the car etc).

So my question is - if I somehow get a carnet, on what basis might the temporary importation be refused by DOTARS?

DOTARS have nothing to do with it.

As I said the Carnet is like a passport for the car. It will be Customs who make the decision on what happens to the car. They have the final say on whether the car is allowed in or not. They may have an issue with it due to your residency status. 

But your first hurdle will be the issuing body, you have to put up a bond or some sort of insurance to guarantee the vehicle will be returned, but they may not even give you the time of day due to your residency status.

Remember, this is not Australian Law. It's a  United Nations multilateral treaty written in 1954.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

DOTARS have nothing to do with it.

As I said the Carnet is like a passport for the car. It will be Customs who make the decision on what happens to the car. They have the final say on whether the car is allowed in or not. They may have an issue with it due to your residency status. 

Gotcha re Customs, not DOTARS. What role does DOTARS have in this then?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Gotcha re Customs, not DOTARS. What role does DOTARS have in this then?

Nothing - the only thing they do is give you the guide lines. They won't issue one or help you with one.

From their notes:

Carnets are available from the motoring organisation in your country of residence.

Each country that has signed up to the agreement has a set of rules to follow regarding the procedure but local Customs laws from that country can override some of these rules and agreements.

There has been a few countries drop out of the agreement in the last few years, Australia has no plans to do so in the near future at least..........