Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
Very interesting article out of the UK.......can't help think our country could learn a lot from this experiment....whilst we become more and more of a nanny state other countries are undertaking social experiments to get people to be more personally responsible for their actions!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094939/Britains-longest-clutter-free-street-unveiled-make-things-SAFER.html

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Pity they couldn't go all the way and just let it be an exercise of intuition to navigate, they still have to show speed limits.

(had to change the topic name, it was melting my brains)

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
theres proposals to do this in Adelaide already, prospect road is one such area
we are calling them shared zones I think

Theres a revamp of Rundle street planned with 3 options I think, one of them is to go more like this

please note that the speedlimit will be 25kmph, the goal is to keep all cars out that arent going to somewhere on that street to park, its a way of effectively closing the road to traffic without having to compensate everyone with a driveway that goes onto that road

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high

Tell'em ...
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
These shared zones do work, they are already well established in many areas in Europe and they seem to do well in major cities and smaller medieval and ancient towns.

Amsterdam city is experimenting a more "extreme" version of this by actually putting the shared zone where there are a lot of zebra crossings and traffic lights specifically made for pedestrians to cross. They are actually removing all the crossings to force a pedestrian to think before simply crossing the road just because a car is expected to notice you and stop at a zebra crossing or to make pedestrians look and think before crossing instead of just walking out onto the road without looking first simply because they expect a car to stop at a red light.

The system half breaks down in some very narrow, and very over crowded car unfriendly cities like Venice and Florence, they still have the shared zones but if you want to drive directly to the centre without an invitation (temporary exemption), a residential exemption, or a delivery/taxi driver exemption, your numberplate is read by stret cameras and heavy fines (tolls) are sent to you.

The sytem does work but do British and Aussie drivers actually have the brain capacity to learn this new way of a shared road system?????  I think not.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I find it hard to believe each square meter of the old surface to be ripped up, prepared and replaced with Chinese stone should cost 1,800 GBP per square meter  :doh:

Someone's making a Mozza should they get this contract.
Enjoying Life!!!!