Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2007/09/16/2068_ntnews.html

A MAN has claimed Territory police don't even know the road rules they are supposed to be enforcing.

The Darwin father, who did not want to be identified, said he was left "dumbfounded" after he was given different answers from five NT police stations when he rang to ask what speed his daughter could drive on her L-plates.

Despite the blunders, police told the Sunday Territorian it was the driver's responsibility to know the rules.

The man was driving down the track on an interstate holiday with his 17-year-old daughter when she asked if she could drive.

He knew there was some speed restrictions on L and P-plate drivers but was not 100 per cent sure what they were. So before letting her behind the wheel he did the right thing and phonedthe police.

"I phoned the Darwin police headquarters (Peter McAulay Centre) and no one, including the Sergeant, knew what the speed limit was," he said. "I was then told to go on the Net and find out, which was a bit hard to do when on the road."

He said he then rang Katherine Police, who were adamant the speed limit for both L and P-platers was whatever was signposted.

"I couldn't believe it when I was told this and questioned `does this mean that she can drive up to 130km/h?'," he said. "I was emphatically told `yes'."

The long-time Territorian said he then phoned Tennant Creek station and was told 80km/h for both Ls and Ps, followed by Alice Springs who said 60km/h for Ls and 80km/h for Ps.

He said Pine Creek station told him 80km/h for Ls and 100km/h for P-plates.

"I found it absolutely unbelievable," he said.